Any 5-stringers out there?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Any 5-stringers out there?

Post by brewerpaul »

Hijack away, 5 String!
My latest banjo news is that I installed a couple of capo spikes on my banjo last night. A bit nerve wracking but they came out fine.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
5 string fool
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by 5 string fool »

Hi Paul-speaking of 5th string spikes check this out-it made my day. I tried it and it works fine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8JhPOdeD4k
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Yeah, I love it! But 5, about that handle, isn't it a bit redundant?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

5 string fool wrote:Hi Paul-speaking of 5th string spikes check this out-it made my day. I tried it and it works fine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8JhPOdeD4k
Yup-- I tried that first and it did work OK. Pretty clever bit of McGyvering. I found that it popped out from time to time, and I lost the one I made pretty quickly due to its size. The spikes seemed the best option for me.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I opted for the Shubb 5th string capo. It was expensive, hard to install, and works about half the time. Should have gone with the spikes.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
5 string fool

Post by 5 string fool »

Crooked:redundant is my middle name. And my first name... As far as 5th string spikes go, I do a lot of fretting on the 5th string, playing melodic style, and I wonder if ther spikes might get in my way. Anyone have any experience with this? On another subject altogether today I had a kind of breakthrough-I started up-and-down picking individual strings with the thumbpick. I started doing this in order to execute triplets on the 5th string without having to shift several fingers rapidly, and while it will take a little while to integrate into my technique I can already use it for the desired purpose. This is related to a flamenco guitar technique called, I think, alzapua. Has anyone else tried this on the banjo? If so. how's it working? Anyway for me it is exciting and enough inspirationto keep me going through the new year . Lastly and of course it should have been first: a very Happy Safe and Prosperous New Year to all, filled with the joy of making music.
robert schuler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by robert schuler »

Hey, Fool. You should not have a problem fingering around a RR spike. I only install them at the seventh fret for the A note. It's uncommon to use in other positions. Players who need more go with a fifth string sliding capo. RR spike on steel strings is barely a millimeter high. You can install them back near the sixth fret so its out of your way... Bob
Oh body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?... WB Yeats
Lazy River

Post by Lazy River »

Been taking 5-string lessons for just over a year now - love it!! We covered the full range of styles. Up-picking (i.e., 2-finger and 3-finger) works best for me. I found clawhammer really difficult.