Guitar identification help

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
dschultz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Guitar identification help

Post by dschultz »

I picked this guitar up at a yard sale for a couple bucks and am wondering if I got my money's worth :) Anyone know anything about it? I can't find any markings on it anywhere, so I'm completely in the dark. If you need more pictures, just let me know.
Thanks.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Guitar identification help

Post by MTGuru »

The Gibson-esque truss cover is interesting. But with that hardware and paint job and zero fret, it reminds me of a Harmony/Silvertone or something of that ilk. In which case it's worth the $2 you paid for it. :wink: But I could be completely wrong; I'm no expert.

No markings on the neck block inside the guitar? What is the bracing pattern? Can you tell if the top is solid or plywood by looking at the soundhole edge?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
dschultz

Post by dschultz »

I think it's plywood, but I can't really tell for sure (see pics). I did find a number, "20303" -- the 3's could possibly be 8's, not positive (there's a picture of that). I believe it has ladder bracing -- 3 braces inside, one at each of the 2 widest points and one at the narrowest.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Yes, I'd guess the ladder bracing says plywood and cheapie. It looks a lot like my first beater guitar, circa 1960.

Heck, glue the nut down, grab your vice-grips for the G tuner and throw on a set of strings. If it doesn't explode, then you can decide if it's worth any more effort. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
dschultz

Post by dschultz »

Thanks for all the help. Maybe I'll put on some strings and see what happens (I had already done all the glue work). Thanks again.
Dave
Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

Interesting, the curved bridge pin setup and the height/action adjustable saddle? which would make me think it could be a hand built kit type guitar? Curved bridge pin configurations helped to reduce the chances of the builder getting a crack right across the bridge when drilling. Even with those features I can't get anything to match it on net search engines. Good luck with the info search.