String Chaos

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Dreamer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

String Chaos

Post by Dreamer »

I attempted to change the full set of strings on my guitar so I could clean off the dust that was collecting on the fretboard. No problem in taking the set off, but I had to use two partial packs and one full pack of strings to equal a set for going back on. :tomato: I took the partial packs out of the envelopes not thinking, normally I only change one or two strings at once, and ended up with unidentified strings when I went to use them. :oops: I figured that I could compare them to the ones in the full pack and instead ended up with a mass of strings with identity issues. :boggle: I now have gathered my old set and will (hopefully) decipher what string is what by comparing them to the old set in which I know what string is what. :tantrum:
I now have found another reason to like the whistle, no strings to change. :lol:
Hopefully I can at least make some one smile with this so it isn't all a just waste. :D
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: String Chaos

Post by maki »

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

maki wrote:This may or may not help;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory
Yes, those 11 dimensional strings are really hard to wind. :lol:
Dreamer wrote:I had to use two partial packs and one full pack of strings to equal a set for going back on.
I'm not sure I get this. By "partial packs" you mean sets that you've "borrowed" single strings from, and which are no longer complete? And if you had a full pack there, why didn't you just use those and ignore the rest?

In any case, if you have a micrometer or a digital caliper handy, you can easily check the mystery string gauges. Just keep in mind that even well-made strings can vary +/- 0.001 inches or more from their nominal gauges. If you use d'Addario string sets, the ball ends are color-coded, which also helps to sort things out (but won't tell you the actual gauges).

And the next time you visit your music store, pick up some single string replacements for the missing strings in your partial sets.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Dreamer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Dreamer »

MTGuru wrote:I'm not sure I get this. By "partial packs" you mean sets that you've "borrowed" single strings from, and which are no longer complete? And if you had a full pack there, why didn't you just use those and ignore the rest?
Yes to the first, and for the second that was what ended up causing me lots of trouble, I have some strings that look like I have three.
MTGuru wrote:In any case, if you have a micrometer or a digital caliper handy, you can easily check the mystery string gauges. Just keep in mind that even well-made strings can vary +/- 0.001 inches or more from their nominal gauges. If you use d'Addario string sets, the ball ends are color-coded, which also helps to sort things out (but won't tell you the actual gauges).
I use Martin strings, being cheaper, but color coding sounds like such a good idea right now. :boggle: No such luck on the micro meter.
MTGuru wrote:And the next time you visit your music store, pick up some single string replacements for the missing strings in your partial sets.
I got a twelve pack of string sets on black friday (where the full set came from) I will grab another one from there and a make it into a ten pack :lol: especially because I think the low E disappeared. :tantrum:

Update: I figured it out without needing a new pack of strings, still have some with identity issues that I may or may not decide to sort out another time.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Dreamer wrote:No such luck on the micro meter.
If you are near a Harbor Freight store, you can pick up a 0.001" digital caliper for $̶1̶2̶ $10. Or you can find a screw micrometer online starting ~$30. Very handy for measuring all sorts of things - strings, picks, whistle tubes, wire gauges, fingernails, nose hairs ... :-)

BTW, one of the dirty little secrets of the steel guitar string string world is that there are only a handful of string factories. And all the various brands out there are made by one of them and re-packaged. In the US, it used to be d'Addario, Gibson, and GHS - there may be more now.

Tor

Post by Tor »

MTGuru wrote: BTW, one of the dirty little secrets of the steel guitar string string world is that there are only a handful of string factories. And all the various brands out there are made by one of them and re-packaged. In the US, it used to be d'Addario, Gibson, and GHS - there may be more now.
On the other hand, I've seen claims over and over again that John Pearse strings were just re-packaged d'Addario strings, and that was never true.

-Tor
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Yeah, it's been a long time since I kept track when I was "in the industry" (early 80s).

I think d'Addario had sold their original machinery to Martin, which was another.

Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

MTGuru wrote:I think d'Addario had sold their original machinery to Martin, which was another.
Yeah, Martin has gone back and forth between in-house and outsourced string making. They made the strings in the back of the Sycamore Street factory in the 90's and moved the operation out to their plant in Mexico a few years ago where they continue to make them along with the Backpackers and X-Series guitars. It was a sizable operation. It took up a lot of floor space and employed quite a few (mostly young) people. R&D is still done in Nazareth.

John Pearse lived nearby for some years (sadly gone). Breezy Ridge Instruments is still here which he co-founded. As far as I know, D'Addario made his strings to his specs.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Tor

Post by Tor »

Feadoggie wrote: John Pearse lived nearby for some years (sadly gone). Breezy Ridge Instruments is still here which he co-founded. As far as I know, D'Addario made his strings to his specs.
No, they didn't. John was active on the rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic newsgroup back when I was active there (and when he was still alive). Whenever anything like that came up he denied it. Here's one of his replies to such a post, taken from my own archive of the newsgroup:

Code: Select all

From johnpearse@aol.com Mon May 7 08:01:00 2001
Path: news1.oke.nextra.no!news2.oke.nextra.no!nextra.com !news.ost.eltele.no!uninett.no!news.tele.dk!209.50 .235.254!europa.netcrusader.net!208.184.7.66!newsf eed.skycache.com!Cidera!portc03.blue.aol.com!audre y04.news.aol.com!not-for-mail
Lines: 11
X-Admin: news@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Date: 08 May 2001 06:00:16 GMT
References: <3AF722D8.D48B646A@maxwellplace.demon.co.uk>
Organization: AOL http://www.aol.com
Subject: Re: Best acoustic strings.
Message-ID: <20010508020016.22002.00004543@ng-md1.aol.com>
Xref: news2.oke.nextra.no rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic:282599

Sorry if I was a bit abrupt, David. I get a little steamed at times when I see
posts saying that company X or company Y makes my strings.
Actually I don't, personally, make the strings anymore. That's done by the
great guys and gals in the workshop. I do, however, make all the prototype
string sets...in my little workshop overlooking the gorgeous vineyards of the
Pyrenees Orientales, here in southern France. I set up my prototyping rig and
other machinery here about three years ago and I come over here every three
months or so to work free from the constant interruptions that I had to put up
with, back in PA.
Now I think I'll just open another bottle of Banyuls and.........
John Pearse.
-Tor
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

When I bought my 12-string acoustic guitar, the man told me, "You're going to want to be focused when you change the string." I found out why the first time I change the string and I was focused and have been ever since. The D'Addario color coding has helped but...I was collecting those beads for your for a project and although I'm still collecting them for a project, I wish they would have chosen more pleasant colors.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦