Info on Tommy Potts

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
chaos97
antispam: No

Info on Tommy Potts

Post by chaos97 »

Hello all. Recently I've been listening again to a lot of Tommy Potts music, & it always stirs up so much curiosity in me. I can't find too much information on him (85% of the internet seems to just be linking him to the butterfly tune) & was hoping somebody here could help or point me in some directions.

I've searched through past topics (again, the butterfly over & over) and i found a radio doc from The Rolling Wave (March 19th 2008) on his life. I also seem to recall a program i caught a couple years ago from TG4, maybe it was Cerbh I, with Michael O'Sullivan (sp?) discussing different aspects of his music. Are there any working links where i can view this again?

Basically, i would like some more in depth information about Tommy's personal life, but even moreso a detailed study of his music. I believe Michael O'Sullivan did some kind of in-depth thesis on his music. Is this available anywhere online. I had heard that something in his personal life made him change his playing to the more exotic style that was on his LP, is this true?

I hope this is easy to understand. Sometimes my writing just streams out and can be a little incoherent. There really should be more info about some of these great players on the web. Hoping to spark some discussions. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.
dunnp

Re: Info on Tommy Potts

Post by dunnp »

Have you read, The Litany of Saints, an article by Micheal O Suilleabaian
in Inbhear, a journal of irish music?

It's a good place to start. I think its a condensed version of his thesis but I am not positive.

This article is available online here:

http://www.inbhear.ie/volume-1/m-osuill ... -menu.html
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

There is even a video in the Intro section!

Thanks for making me revisit this article.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Are there any Potts tanscriptions available online?