Violin vs guitar

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Jackuar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Violin vs guitar

Post by Jackuar »

Hello everyone,

Its Jack here..... I'm a newbie here and from India....

I've been lately in a dilemma between choosing whether the guitar or the violin. Was searching online for guidance - there were many but nothing so decisive and aptly guiding. So then searched on General String Instrument forum and landed up here.

I'm a keyboard player to start with (Professional). Learned guitar sometime back but I'm out of touch for the past 3+ years. I can play guitar passably now. I'm thinking of restarting all over again in guitar but violin has been my dream ever since childhood but never got one :(

I can take some help here in deciding which one should I go after.

The guitar that I learnt was just basic - the notes, chords and scale. I can only play the right notes and chords but as of now, have no proper strumming technique / practice. I don't still have calluses so that makes it starting fresh again. The first time I learnt, the mistake that I did (with no proper guidance) was that I started with acoustic in my classes but I got a electric guitar for myself. Acoustic was easy for me but electric guitar was difficult (for me, at that time) and I gradually lost interest.

In keyboard (and even in the minimal guitar things that I learnt, I've felt this) I'm better in playing leads than playing advanced chords / harmony. And coupled with the violin dream, I thought switching over to violin from guitar would be easy and not-devoid-of-motivation.

Any guidance on choosing a beginner violin (If you ask me to go with violin) would also be greatly appreciated. Not in terms of specific brands (Coz most of the brands I've heard online are not here in India. We have mostly our own Indian made violins / May be chinese. I can't find a Yamaha / Stentor / Gliga. Guidance as in what to look for in a violin, the body, wood, or specific intricate things (if any) - those kinda things....

Looking for some guidance here with hearty thanks in advance.
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Violin vs guitar

Post by benhall.1 »

Hi Jack*, and welcome :)

I would say that, if violin has been your "dream" then you should go with that. Don't think it's going to be easy, because it really is a tricky beast to master, but you'll have such fun along the way. You really ought to find a teacher if you're going with violin. You'll need a teacher anyway (or at least, learning will be much better with a teacher's help) and also, a teacher can help you find and choose a violin right from the start. S/he may even have a spare violin that they can let you borrow or sell to you. I have several, for instance, but then I'm not in India.

Good luck! :)

*There's something wrong with this greeting, methinks. :wink:
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Follow your dream!
If you lost interest in the guitar, that is an argument against it. I know nothing about violins (bar how to string and tune my mother's old fiddle, on which I can just about scrape out "Out on the Ocean") but if you find one that you like the sound of, go for that. Your choice has got to suit your purse, so it's the sound of what is in your price-range that is the critical thing.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
raysa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by raysa »

Well there's more wood in a guitar, so it keeps the fire going a little longer. :D
(Only joking, honest - just a banjo player getting my own back for all those cruel banjo jokes).
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

"violin has been my dream ever since childhood but never got one"

There's your answer.

As far as specific violins, first, go out and find a teacher. Once you find a teacher, s/he will be able to guide you far better than any of us.

I tried to learn violin for a little while. It is difficult, especially for an adult. It requires postures that are not normal. But you can do it. Just don't try to do it on your own.