A Cheer for Shubb

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

A Cheer for Shubb

Post by MTGuru »

Attending the NAMM show last weekend, I happened to stroll by the Shubb exhibit, and I stopped in to look at the newer anodized aluminum Lite capos in fancy colors. I've always liked Shubb and have 4 or 5 Shubbs in various models.

While chatting with the rep, I pulled my trusty old Shubb out of my pocket and told him I've had it since around 1982, long before they started putting Delrin caps on the adjustment screw. Even the other rep came over to look at my antique.

"Would you like a Delrin cap?" he asks. "We can retrofit one."

Off he goes with my capo, and a minute later returns with a brand new Delrin cap fitted. "Enjoy!" he says.

Now, I know it's no big deal, it's only a $1 part. But this kind of little gesture can make all the difference. These guys obviously care about the quality of their little product and were very proud that my Shubb has held up after 30 years of constant use.

I shouldn't have been surprised. The last time I called them because I needed to replace a rubber sleeve, they stuck 3 of them in an envelope and mailed them to me for free.

So yes, sometimes I use other capos, especially my Quick Draw. But Rick Shubb and his crew get a special MTGuru thumbs-up for their consistent service and for making and supporting products that, unlike so many things in our throw-away world, are really meant to last.

:thumbsup:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Feadoggie

Re: A Cheer for Shubb

Post by Feadoggie »

:thumbsup:
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

It's interesting to compare the above with my experience at the Kyser booth, which I also stumbled upon. There, the rep was demoing their various partial capos with the piston lever to fret the un-capoed strings.

Now, I've played with partial capos for years, and the pistons are kind of cool. But I know how to finger un-capoed strings either at the capoed fret or behind the capo. Which I told him. Instead of listening to me, the rep seemed more interested in convincing me that I had a non-existent problem for which he had the solution. And he especially frowned when I described turning the Kyser capo upside-down to capo 3 strings with the white neck cushion. "Capo abuser!" I could hear him thinking. :-)

Kysers are fine and have their place. But the different attitude is ... interesting.

Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

That is interesting. I do use Kyser's Quick change capos. They are convenient at times. I've come to think of them as throw away capos. And they do make quite a few models. I have a couple of the regular full bar type as well as the drop D, double drop D and "short cut" which does cover just three strings (open A tuning? and varients). Oh, and their banjo/mandolin capo can act as a short capo on a guitar too. And yes you can play behind the capo on the open strings (or sound sympathetics behing the capoed strings). Did they even realize that was what you might be talking about?

But the Third hand hasn't struck me as something I can bond with. I have talked with players (like Phil Keaggy) who use one or more of them to do remarkable things with tunings. It beats retuning or carrying several guitars with them. I don't play out as much as I did when I was younger but I'd rather have a couple guitars with me strung to the different tunings.

Have you seen these?
Probably don't work farther up the neck. But it's another idea.

I like Shubb's stuff. I play squareneck lap steel too and their steels and squareneck capo are with me all the time. I've tried to engineer a better squareneck capo and I just keep going back to the Shubb.

Feadoggie
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

can anyone recommend a decent capo for the mountain dulcimer?
b
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Feadoggie wrote:Have you seen these?
Easy link for the curious (I was):
http://www.capoclips.com/
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

brianholton wrote:can anyone recommend a decent capo for the mountain dulcimer?
Dulcimers can be tough, IME, because the uniformity of design is not what it is for guitars. Most of the Mtn. dulcimers I run into are hand made, usually by the player with a wide variety in fingerboard width and string height. So you'd have to test these with your instrument but the Folkcraft and Ewing capos are all I've seen out there. Both are similar capo designs.

You can easily make one too. People used to use spool clamps that luthiers used to fix mandolins, violins and guitars as capos. Basically take a dowel ( 1.25" to 1.5" diameter) and cut two sections maybe 3/4" long. Drill a hole in the center of each. Cover one end of each with felt. Run an appropriate bolt with a smooth shaft through the pieces and secure with a wing nut. You can cover the bolt with vinyl tubing if you like. Voila!

Now, in the spirit of full disclosure, in 40 years of dulcimer ownership/playing I have never once used or desired to use a capo.

Guitar players have it easy. Just take a dowel (or pencil in a pinch) and a strong, short rubber band and you have a capo. Been there....

When searching for a photo of the spool clamp capo I came across this unique site. http://www.sternercapo.se/Capomuseum/ Who knew - a capo museum?

Hope that helps.

Feadoggie
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

b
McSpadden offers a couple of nice, very workable capos. I think they're the ones Feadoggie mentions, but here's the link:

http://www.mcspaddendulcimers.com/searc ... asp?cat=42

I have one, but again like Feadoggie, I never use it nor desire to.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

kkrell wrote:
Feadoggie wrote:Have you seen these?
Easy link for the curious (I was):
http://www.capoclips.com/
I'm usually the first one to pooh-pooh yet another hairbrained new magic capo design that will make you smart, good-looking and popular. But this is actually pretty cool. Simple and obvious. And you can use your own favorite capo.

Of course, you can get many of these patterns by using multiple partial capos, especially if you include a configurable Third Hand capo. And I wonder how much the plates get in the way, preventing you from playing behind the capo. But I'd definitely be willing to try this system before passing judgment.

Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Oh, and I'm still puzzled at the Kyser reps. Using the Kyser Quick Change upside down is SOP with guitarists but Kyser'd probably prefer to sell a Short Cut instead of admitting to that. I'd bet that's where the idea for the Short Cut came from. Even their on-line videos talk about using the Short Cut in the manner MTGuru describes. But the standard capo does pretty much the same upside down.

I'd be interested in hearing how folks here use multiple capos. I have used partial capos but haven't gotten to a point where I felt the need for muliples. I guess if you need to change the drones to another home key that would be a reason.

How are folks using capos?

Feadoggie
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Indeed. Simple and obvious, but a new idea. I wonder how they'd cope with paired CBOM strings.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I've tried a boat load of capos, but I lubbs my Shubbs!
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

b

Gary Sager - Prussia Valley
http://prussiavalley.com/catalog/produc ... ucts_id=62

Dudley "Quick Trip" Capo

Ron Ewing
http://www.ronewingdulcimers.com/Capos.htm
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

MTGuru wrote:Now, I've played with partial capos for years...
I caught that bug after seeing David Wilcox perform for the first time back in the very early 90s. I remember thinking something along the lines of "no wonder I couldn't figure out how to play that." So I did what he did. I bought a few regular Kyser capos and fired up my grinding wheel. Those are the ones I still have and use occasionally. But John is right, Shubbs really are the best out there. I was on a quest to find better at one time. Spent a lot of money ...even bought one capo that cost around a hundred bucks. Nothing was as good for me as the Shubb.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

When I watch CMT, I notice Kyser Capos. I'm not seeing other capos but Kyser Capos do have a much more obvious profile. So maybe other brand capos are on CMT and I just don't see them.

Maybe they just didn't have their first string rep at NAMM.

And I've said this before but I've only had a Shubb in my hand once and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how it worked. I can figure out how a Kyser works. I've only shot them a short distance. I've seen other folks shoot them across a room a couple of times.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦