Beginner mandolin

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Beginner mandolin

Post by izzarina »

I haven't been on in a while...between taking care of Izzlets and going to school full time, I rarely have time to actually do something which takes a lot of thought. Like post on the Chiff. ;)

Anyway, on to my reason for posting. I'm sure this topic has been done and redone (ad nauseum, more than likely), but I'm lazy and would prefer someone to answer me here, so I don't have to search. What is a good mandolin for a beginner? Mind you, I play fiddle, and from what I understand the fingerings are basically the same, so that won't be too much of an issue. Cheaper would be nice, but any suggestions at any price would be wonderful. I really want something that is going to be a joy to play, with a nice tone.

Thank you to everyone in advance! :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Beginner mandolin

Post by brewerpaul »

Hi Izz-- the mandolin is a whole lot of fun. Be sure to head over to mandolincafe.com, which is the chiffandfipple.com of the mandolin world.
In new mandolins, the most usually recommended "beginner" brands are Eastman, The Loar, and Kentucky. A-style mandolins will give you more bang for the buck than the more ornate looking F-styles. The sound is not really any different. Check the classifieds over at mandocafe too. Good instruments often show up used, as their owners upgrade to more costly ones.
One thing really important is to buy a mandolin which comes with a good setup. Out of the box it may play OK, but a reputable dealer who can give it a good setup (comparable to tweaking a whistle) will make it play it's best (low action, accurate intonation all the way up the neck, etc).
Be aware that you can spend many thousands of dollars for a mandolin, but for most people that's simply not necessary in order to get a well made, easy playing instrument. Have fun!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

Thank you so much, Paul :) I'm hoping not to spend tons, but I'm also not opposed to spending a bit more in order to get a good instrument. I haven't been to mandolincafe.com yet, although I did know about it. I typically come to the Chiffers first, simply because I know you guys :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

Hello izzarina.
We just went through the process of buying a first mandolin as a gift for my wife.
I don't know if there is a subsitute for doing your own research.
And for that, Mandolin Cafe is the place.
All of your questions have already been answered and all of the mistakes have been made by others.
After some reading and searching we bought new from Folkmusican.com.
There seem to be a small handful of dealers who are Mandolin Cafe sponsors, and
who have great reputations for expertise and service.
If you want to buy with complete confidence in a good instrument with expert set-up
using a reputable dealer may serve you well.
Good luck, and good hunting.
voggy_dog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by voggy_dog »

I picked up an Ibanez M511S (Solid Spruce Top) for $179 not too long ago. Appears to be a decent instrument.. nice tone, fair action with med-light guage strings. No buzzing that I've found. My mandolin-playing acquaintences like it. If you could find one for about the same price (or less), you'd probably do OK.

The Kentucky A style mandolins also have a good rep... though they tend to be a bit pricier.
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

Just a thought;

Outstanding value for the first time player
A great beginner's mandolin package. This includes the Kentucky KM-150 mandolin and all the needed accessories. The KM-150 is by far the best mandolin we have found in the lower price ranges. With good tone and workmanship, the KM-150 is not out of place on stage, in fact, calling it a beginner mandolin is not doing it justice. We completely go through the mandolin and make sure it is playing great.
Includes: a wooden hard-shell case, electronic tuner, leather strap, pick, and book with CD package.

http://www.folkmusician.com/Beginner-Ma ... o/FM-MPK1/
Or just get it without the beginner package for $250;
http://www.folkmusician.com/Kentucky-KM ... fo/KM-150/