changing strings

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

changing strings

Post by mutepointe »

Last night I had the worst time of changing strings ever. I'll skip the details. The main cause is that I can't see to thread the string through the tuner peg hole. I'm not the first person in these shoes. What do other folks do? I'm thinking of getting a jeweler's loop for my eyeglasses.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Re: changing strings

Post by Feadoggie »

I can understand. I have fits sometimes with the mandolin. But I manage. I do have a light with a magnifying lens for when things get particularly tough which I generally use only for detail work on flutes, whistles and strings. They come in many sizes and price points.

Reading glasses might help. They are just fixed focus magnifiers. Don't look too cool over normal glasses though. But hey... They are inexpensive and fairly ubiquitous. Dollar stores stock them these days. Otherwise most drug stores have a nice selection and you an always bling it up too.

They come as clip-ons too.

Then there is the eyecard. Or similar emergency reading glasses. My father used something like these in his late eighties for times when he felt challenged.

Or the magnifying visor, lighted or not. Again they come in many forms and price points.

Harbor Freight has some of these things at comparatively very low prices. including loupes

Hope that helps.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

The last picture is what I was thinking of. I have a particular fondness for clip on/flip ups and didn't know that non-sunglasses were an option.

I wish I could implement "Plan B" aka "Get a kid to do this for me" but I don't know any kids who play guitar.
白飞梦
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Why do they have to play guitar instead of just wanting to play? Offer free lessons in trade.

It's the time of year for my kids (youngest is 20) to bring their stringed instruments home for maintenance, including new strings. We'll be doing mandolin, uke, bass, and fiddle strings so far. The banjo hasn't been mentioned yet for some reason.

Feadoggie
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I would even give a guitar to a kid that wanted free lessons. Damn that Rock Band Hero.
白飞梦
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

mutepointe wrote:I would even give a guitar to a kid that wanted free lessons.
We've considered just that as an outreach program at our church. But some people are a bit sensitive about programs just for kids around here at this point in time (mostly the Penn State grads). I can't blame them. It's a pretty nice idea though.
mutepointe wrote:Damn that Rock Band Hero.
Right! :D

At least the technology is progressing to where you can use a real guitar to play the game now - and actually learn something. Drums and keyboards were easy but the bass and guitar were a bit harder (just a bit more expensive actually) to sense. So, things should get to where you have to actually play like Jimi or some other guitar demi-god to get a high score in a few years.

It'll get there. I have no doubt. One day Homespun Tapes (what an anachronism that is!) will produce a set of tutorials where a kid can learn to play guitar like Pierre Bensusan or Clarence White using their guitar and an Xbox. Wii or PS21.

Feadoggie
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Here's my trick: When the old string is off, always turn the tuner so that the peg hole is aligned with the strings - i.e., in the head-to-bridge direction. You can even do this by feel instead of by sight. Then there's no guesswork which direction to insert the top of the new string; it always goes in straight up.

Once you have the string inserted and the lock-loop* secured, you can basically just start winding, no need to look. If you maintain finger tension on the string by holding it down gently in the nut slot, the winding should take care of itself. You can do it in the dark.

Not using a lock-loop? When the string is inserted in the peg hole and pulled to the right length, bring the top of the string 1/2 turn around the peg in the opposite direction of the winding, and thread it under the string where it enters the peg. Then crimp the string 180 degrees back on itself so it forms a half-loop. You can do this by hand, or with needle nose pliers for a good crimp.

Now after 1/4 turn of the peg, the loop will "lock" the string against the peg so you don't have to worry about watching for slippage. It also makes a more secure attachment, so you get better tuning behavior and can use fewer windings around the peg.

Also, everyone knows the old trick of using a hand width under the string at the 12th fret to determine roughly how much slack to leave in the string before winding it. Right? :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Nice description, MTGuru.

There are a lot of "how to" videos on YouTube as well. D'Addario has this one which is fairly practical and straight-forward. Yes, they are selling some tools too. A nice pair of needle nose pliers or wire cutters are all that you need. String winders are nice if you change a lot of strings.

Feadoggie
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

When I worked at Sam Ash, I sometimes had to string a dozen guitars a day with anxious customers staring at me. You get used to doing it fairly efficiently. :-)

Yes, string winders are your friend!

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Feadoggie wrote:Yes, they are selling some tools too. A nice pair of needle nose pliers or wire cutters are all that you need.
I like the Leatherman Squirt P4 (now PS4) multitool as my gig companion.

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Squirt_PS4

It's tiny and fits easily in your pocket or accessory compartment. Needle nose pliers, wire cutters, knife/scissors (for opening string packages), screwdrivers (for friction tuners, pickup pole adjustments), file (for your nails), bottle opener (for beer!). Very handy.

Remarkably, it's still a Made in the USA product, if that matters to you.

Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

MTGuru wrote:I like the Leatherman Squirt P4 (now PS4) multitool as my gig companion.
Right! Leatherman tools are great. E4 or Micra with me all the time, one of the full-size Leatherman in the brief case. Can't beat 'em.
MTGuru wrote:Remarkably, it's still a Made in the USA product, if that matters to you.
Yes, and hopefully they will continue to be made stateside. If you've tried any of the pretender's products there is little to compare, particularly in the durability department.

Feadoggie
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Feadoggie wrote:
MTGuru wrote:Remarkably, it's still a Made in the USA product, if that matters to you.
Yes, and hopefully they will continue to be made stateside. If you've tried any of the pretender's products there is little to compare, particularly in the durability department.
I once made the mistake of buying a Husky multitool on sale, basically a Chinese made Leatherman copy. It's quite nice at first glance, and the quality actually seems good. The problem is that the spring-lever tension is so high that I literally cannot rotate any of the tools out of the handle. For that I need to use ... another tool. Which turns the thing into a sort of recursive joke. :wink:

mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I will have to read those instructions right before I change strings next time. In the meantime, I have survived. Very little blood was spilled. I ran into the problem of small bits of strings wrapped around the tuners that refused to give up, that refused to loosen, and that refused to reveal to me in which direction they were wound. That's where the magnifier might come in handy.

Amazingly, untangling fishing line is no problem for me. I think it's a Zen thing.
白飞梦
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I use the string lock technique too, but I start with all my tuning post holes perpendicular to the length of the neck. That way, once I start turning the peg, the string starts winding on the post immediately instead of having to go through that first 90 degrees for nothing.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

brewerpaul wrote:I use the string lock technique too, but I start with all my tuning post holes perpendicular to the length of the neck. That way, once I start turning the peg, the string starts winding on the post immediately instead of having to go through that first 90 degrees for nothing.
I do this also. Unlike MTGuru, I like to get some winding done on the string before placing through the nut, so as not to saw the groove in the nut. Probably meaningless if you have a Zero fret.
Last edited by kkrell on Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.