Ronsonol (and flashlights)

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Ronsonol

Post by missy »

MTGuru wrote:
I did find a good deal on Maglight LED flashlights, though!
Hopefully not a 6 cell - those are illegal in most states...... :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

missy wrote:
MTGuru wrote:I did find a good deal on Maglight LED flashlights, though!
No, not that one, Missy. I like my flashlights to be shorter than a baseball bat! :lol:

70 lumen Mag Mini 2-AA + 130 lumen Mag 3-D cell, bundled together for $29, with batteries and spare lenses. They replace my identical krypton Maglights, and I like them both very much.

But now I'm really jonesing for more power. I want one of those TerraLux 1000 lumen retrofits that can burn your eyes out.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

MTGuru wrote:I know a great meeting spot out in the desert, if you don't mind scorpions. :wink:
Remind them scorpions that I, or...ah, rather, my friend, will be carrying lighter fluid.

rob
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Rob Sharer wrote:Remind them scorpions that I, or...ah, rather, my friend, will be carrying lighter fluid.
An excellent point. I'll bring the UV flashlight. :)

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

MTGuru wrote:
missy wrote:
MTGuru wrote:I did find a good deal on Maglight LED flashlights, though!
No, not that one, Missy. I like my flashlights to be shorter than a baseball bat! :lol:

70 lumen Mag Mini 2-AA + 130 lumen Mag 3-D cell, bundled together for $29, with batteries and spare lenses. They replace my identical krypton Maglights, and I like them both very much.

But now I'm really jonesing for more power. I want one of those TerraLux 1000 lumen retrofits that can burn your eyes out.
I don't care for the Mag Mini. Either batteries keep getting stuck in them, or the contact fails to make connection, or those stupid multi-switch tops drive me crazy. I'm tired of swapping parts between different flashlights just to keep one working properly. I'd rather use a Coleman with the push button bottom - those are holding up really well.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

That's too bad, Kevin. I haven't experienced those problems with my Maglights, and I've had them 20+ years. They're sturdy and reliable - the SM57s of the flashlight world. :-) I actually find the twisty switch intuitive, but you can always install a tailcap button switch. The Mini's multi-modes are handy, and "candle mode" with the top off is effective for room lighting. LED upgrades are available for all the old Maglight models. And I like the idea of supporting a US-made product and a California company.

The thing is, there's an amazing choice of good flashlights out there nowadays, so it's easy to find one that works for you. I also picked up a little 14 LED Rayovac for $4 which will probably be my go-to flashlight around the house and in the car.

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Since this has turned into a flashlight thread ... Kevin, you might really be interested in this.

Today I picked up a NiteIze retrofit for my old Mag Mini. The "Upgrade Combo II", $7.50 at Lowe's. Just swap out the reflector and the bulb. And voilà, you've got a nice 30 lumen Mini, about 4x more light than the Xenon. You can still focus, and the LED and shorter reflector give a softer center and a wider spill, which is an improvement IMO.

Then install the tactical endcap button switch and you can do away with the twisties. Click on, click off, or momentary on for a quick burst or signaling. And you never have to change focus.

Even better ... Install the endcap switch on your LED Mini (it fits), and you do away with the twisty modes. Click on, click off, and ignore the modes entirely if you want. Or click on, then use successive off-on clicks to access the modes. Or use momentary taps to cycle through the modes. (No momentary on mode, though.)

Anyway, the retrofit is inexpensive and effective. Recommended. :thumbsup:

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I've used the NightIze on the older Mag-Lite Minis. I don't have the ones that fit the new multi-mode Minis yet. While this may possibly help with the poor contact problems (which otherwise make for an unreliable flashlight) and better control over the multi-modes, I still hate that batteries (Duracell AAs usually) keep getting stuck in the tubes.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

kkrell wrote:I've used the NightIze on the older Mag-Lite Minis. I don't have the ones that fit the new multi-mode Minis yet.
Don't know about the LEDs. I'm not going to attempt to remove the OEM unit of the new LED Mini until I know more about hot-rodding it. But the NiteIze endcap fits both the old and new; the threads are the same, so it screws right on.
kkrell wrote:I still hate that batteries (Duracell AAs usually) keep getting stuck in the tubes.
Not doubting you at all ... But I'll be darned if I can reproduce the battery problem on mine. The body interior is just a straight tube with no protrusions, so I can't quite imagine what's getting hung up. I'm also using AA Duracells.

kkrell

Post by kkrell »

The endcap in the LED upgrade Combo II kit only works in the old standard bulb Mini. The Mag LED flashlights have a longer endcap (beyond the threads, to make the battery contact), so their kits won't fit.

It now looks as if the Coleman AA LED I've been using lately has been replaced with other models now. I'm trying to stick with easily available AA battery types.

NightIze produces their own Innova line of flashlights. Maybe I'll just have to spend more for something like these:

150-lumen
http://www.niteize.com/collections/inov ... -x2-series

107-lumen
http://www.niteize.com/collections/inov ... va-bolt-aa

Of course, we know there is a Flashlight Board, where extremely fancy and expensive flashlights are discussed. Way more posts than C&F (3,313,084). People will obsess about anything.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

kkrell wrote:The endcap in the LED upgrade Combo II kit only works in the old standard bulb Mini. The Mag LED flashlights have a longer endcap (beyond the threads, to make the battery contact), so their kits won't fit.
Maybe your specs are different? I have my old krypton Mini (circa 1994) and new LED Mini (last week) sitting here side by side. Both are now wearing identical new NiteIze endcaps, and both work and fit fine.

The only difference in the two flashlight lengths is the length of the heads. The body tubes are identical (101mm x 16.5mm ø), and the endcaps are also identical. So they and the NiteIze caps are all mutually interchangeable.
kkrell wrote:It now looks as if the Coleman AA LED I've been using lately has been replaced with other models now. I'm trying to stick with easily available AA battery types.
Not surprising. The flashlight market (and lighting in general) is going a bit nuts now, resulting in a glut of good choices. I imagine a good light is important for your work with the felines. I'm also reluctant to use hard-to-find lithium cells.

And yes, I've been hanging around CPF lately. :-)

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

MTGuru wrote:As I suspected ... no VM&P naptha paint thinner to be found. Not even in smaller quantities. In fact, the high priest - er, sales associate - told me that most of the current solvents will be gone from the shelves within a year or so, to be replaced by more eco-friendly goo which may or may not work as well.
I did notice, however, that Lowe's here still sells gallon cans of acetone. Not that I think I'd want acetone anywhere near my guitar.

Feadoggie

Re: Ronsonol (and flashlights)

Post by Feadoggie »

Acetone seems to be quite a bit more aggressive than naptha on nitrocellulose lacquer, IME. It will dissolve lacquer faster than naptha. I've heard of it being used to clean nasty crud from guitars when naptha didn't do the trick but I'd proceed with caution. Did you look into GooGone at all?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Feadoggie wrote:Acetone seems to be quite a bit more aggressive than naptha on nitrocellulose lacquer, IME. It will dissolve lacquer faster than naptha. I've heard of it being used to clean nasty crud from guitars when naptha didn't do the trick but I'd proceed with caution. Did you look into GooGone at all?
Thanks, Feadoggie. I actually have no need for either naphtha or acetone at the moment, so it's all basically hypothetical. I'm afraid of acetone anyway (memories of chem lab). I keep a small bottle of acetone nail polish remover around if needed.

Sure, I use Goo Gone all the time around the house, mostly for labels and sticky stuff. Both the liquid and the spray gel seem to work well without damaging stuff.

My favorite all-purpose cleaner (not for guitars, of course) is Simple Green. It's fairly aggressive but effective, and it smells like root beer. Yum!

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Was in REI here today, and noted that they're still selling Coleman fuel (naphtha) in quart and gallon cans.