Need help for my bouzouki!

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
MikyMate
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Need help for my bouzouki!

Post by MikyMate »

Hi guys!
I've played a Celtic Star bouzouki for about a year, and I'm not very satisfied with it, because it has several problems of buzzing and rattling of strings, mainly playing chords, but also in melody.
I never had the occasion to try any other bouzouki 'cause I'm italian, and it's not common to find zouks here.. ;)
Is buzzing of strings normal? Watching videos, I rarely hear buzzing like mine.
Probably the it can be resolved with the help of a lutist, and here is my matter.
I've found a used (in practise, almost new) Fender bouzouki, and it would be mine for about 400€, instead of the 600€ thai it costs if new.
I've read discordant opinions about the Fender, but probably is much better that the celtic star (it costs twice!), or not?
Is better to spend more than €100 for re-set my Celtic Star (that I've payed €250), or buying that Fender?

Excuse my english, and thanks for all suggestions ;)
Michele
robert schuler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Need help for my bouzouki!

Post by robert schuler »

You can raise the string action slightly by adding a shim under the bridge and that should eliminate the buzz. If the buzz is in a few positions then you need to file down any frets that are set to high. Or the neck may be warped. I understand that a lot of bouzoukis are poorly braced and the soundboard might be sinking in on you. Any local luthier should be able to fix the problem... Bob.
Oh body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?... WB Yeats
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Hi Michele,

I don't know how serious you are when you say you've never played any other bouzouki, but if this is your first one you should be aware that 'zouks can have a pretty buzzy, twangy sort of sound, especially when chording. Like long-neck banjos, they use long, realtively thin strings that can make a lot of noise if you chord them with a heavy hand.

I've played both the Celtic Star and Fender instruments. Personally, I like the CS better. They are very popular here in the US along with the Trinity College brand. I think the Fender is a little over-priced (probably because of its famous name), but that's just a personal opinion of course.

As Rob mentioned, there are a number of things to look into to assure that there's nothing wrong with the instrument, but at least some of that buzzy kind of sound is part of the charm of the bouzouki, like the characteristic 'twang' of the banjo.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Padre
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Padre »

aren't the Musicalia bouzoukis made in Sicily?
they may not be the top of the line instruments
but guys over there will be able to adjust your CS
or make you a new zouk according to your specifications.
you could also try a Giacomel but that would cost you a little bit more :D
http://www.corradogiacomel.it/index.html
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Start by taking your CS to a competent local luthier or guitar tech. All of the issues you've named - string buzzing, etc - can be diagnosed and repaired by any repairperson familiar with guitars or even mandolins, a likely fairly cheaply. Once you're confident that your axe is working as intended (or not) you can make a decision about whether to upgrade. My opinion is that you won't see a significant spike in quality short of a shift to a luthier-made rather than factory made instrument, and you should save your pennies until then. On the other hand, I'm a guy on the internet and what do I know?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

The first thing you will need to do if you buy the Fender is to take it to your luthier or technician and have a complete set-up: action, neck, frets, bridge, nut, etc. New instruments always require a professional set-up.

The buzzing of your CS is probably also a question of proper set-up, unless there is a physical problem with the instrument - loose brace, loose bridge, etc. When was the last time your CS was adjusted professionally?

In any case, you will have to the spend the same money for the set-up anyway, whether on the new Fender or on your old CS.

So your choice of instrument really has nothing to do with the buzzing or with the set-up cost. It is a question of which instrument you want, and which instrument has a better sound and feel. And since the Fender is another beginners-level instrument that you know nothing about, that is what we call a "pig in a poke". :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MikyMate

Post by MikyMate »

Hi, thanks for the answers.
Looking better I've notice that the buzz comes from the top, maybe the problem should be resolved by rising the bridge or acting on the truss rod. But I've also notice a thing that worry me: the soundboard seems not to be convex!...
It's almost flat/concave... Is that a serious problem?
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

I have a cheap Hora and find it very good for what it is. It was set up by a guy who likes to mess with instruments but the main thing is using the right strings. When I bought bouzouki strings they sounded terrible and buzzy and action was wierd and not tight. A local shop had sets of Irish bouzouki strings made up for them. They are perfect. Ask around here what gauges people are using and get some good strings on the Celtic Star.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

MTGuru wrote:When was the last time your CS was adjusted professionally?
I repeat the question, because the answer may be the key to understanding the problem.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:
MTGuru wrote:When was the last time your CS was adjusted professionally?
I repeat the question, because the answer may be the key to understanding the problem.
Ditto that. Unless you're a trained luthier, don't expect to fix what may well be the result of what could actually be a handful of issues that need addressing. And honestly, to me that sounds like what MikeyMate has going on.

The only thing I fiddle with is changing the strings when they need changing, and humidifying in dry conditions. If I wanted to consider playing around with different gauges, even then I'd go talk to The Man. Advice and understanding gained from a professional is priceless. Adjustments by a pro, though? Mandatory, IMO. You sure as heck wouldn't catch me monkeying with the truss rod.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

MikyMate wrote:Hi, thanks for the answers.
Looking better I've notice that the buzz comes from the top, maybe the problem should be resolved by rising the bridge or acting on the truss rod. But I've also notice a thing that worry me: the soundboard seems not to be convex!...
It's almost flat/concave... Is that a serious problem?
The type of bouzouki you have is called a 'flat-top' instrument. The soundboard and back are very flat, like a guitar. There are other designs that use carved, arched soundboards and backs, but the Celtic Star, Fender, Trinity College, and similar bouzoukis have the flat top. If it has started to become concave, that could be the beginning of a serious problem. As the others have said, the best thing is to have a trained technician look at it. The buzz could come from a number of places. All the mandolin instruments (a bouzouki is part of the mandolin family) benefit greatly from a proper set up and adjustment by trained people. The technician can also evaluate the top and recommend what actions to take.

Unfortunately, it's not too uncommon for beginner-level instruments to fail for a number of reasons. Since you've only owned yours for a short while the problems might be covered by a manufacturer's warranty, so check into that as well. A warranty does not involve things done in a normal set up - that is expected to be done from time to time over the life of the instrument and is the owner's responsibility - but if it is failing because of a defect the costs might be covered.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
robert schuler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by robert schuler »

Graham McDonald down in Jamison AU. is the goto man for everything bouzouki. He wrote the book on designing them. He says all flat top bouzoukis self destruct over time. It seems like they are the lesser cousin of the carved top octave mandolin and knowone takes them seriously... Bob.
Oh body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?... WB Yeats
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

robert schuler wrote:Graham McDonald down in Jamison AU. is the goto man for everything bouzouki. He wrote the book on designing them. He says all flat top bouzoukis self destruct over time. It seems like they are the lesser cousin of the carved top octave mandolin and knowone takes them seriously... Bob.
File this under 'unhelpful'. Every stringed instrument ever made spends its entire working life trying to fold itself in half, and if nothing gets them sooner all will in the end succeed. This is because that the things that make an instrument strong also kill sound, so the best are made only strong enough to succeed for the anticipated lifetime of the instrument. While an arched - bent or carved - top is an inherently stronger structure, flat and arch tops alike need to be braced under the deck to keep their shape. To be good, the deck + braces combo should be built to the same only strong enough standard.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
projektio28

Post by projektio28 »

I personally own a Celtic Star brand Irish bouzouki and love it. I had a similar "buzzing" problem when I first got it. I took it to my local luthier who does all my stringed instruments and he got rid of the buzz. The reason it was making that sound is 1) it wasn't setup properly when it left the factory in Romania and 2) one of the screws in the end of the tuning pegs was loose. So there were actually two buzzing sounds making it really awful to play! Who knew something so simple could make such an annoying sound?

However, that buzz is long gone and now I LOVE playing the thing on rhythm and melody in my band now...

Just have a luthier set it up right and you'll be set! :thumbsup:

Cheers!!

Matt
"The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise." - J.R.R. Tolkien
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

It doesn't much matter what state it was in when it left the factory, because anything made of wood is constantly changing in thickness and width* according to the weather, specifically the relative humidity of the atmosphere around it. Things that leave the factory in perfect set-up (unlikely, for a cheap instrument, but still...) will need to be reset as soon as they get anywhere else if the weather differs by much. You can't do something for once and for all when two of its dimensions fluctuate. This is the reason why the buyers of wooden instruments are constantly being told to go and have their (sometimes) newly purchased instruments checked out by a pro. It's not necessarily because you bought a dud - all wooden stringed instruments will have similar requirements in identical situations.

*ie, across the grain. Length is much more stable.

C.S. Lewis