just curious, Playing same string inst. right & left-handed

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

just curious, Playing same string inst. right & left-handed

Post by mutepointe »

I'm just curious if anyone can play a guitar, mandolin, whatever right or left-handed? Did anyone switch? Why? Can you play the one instrument right or left so that the strings are upside down in one of those directions? Anyone got video?

I can't do this. I don't even want to try.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: just curious, Playing same string inst. right & left-handed

Post by MTGuru »

I've always kept my right hand fingernails fairly long for fingerpicking and strumming. So reversed playing has never been a workable option.

My left-handed high school rock band mate, Jimmy Haslip - who is now more famous as the long time bassist with The Yellowjackets - played, and still plays, electric bass guitar upside-down, with the strings not reversed. It's part of what gives him his unique sound. But I'm pretty sure he can't switch hit.

I can play whistle reversed with RH on top if I concentrate. The result is not horrible, but let's call it less than ideal. :oops:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Man-- if you got one of those ZZ Topp guitar spinning things, you could spin it 180 deg, keep on playing, spin it back, around 360 etc. What a blast!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Ian Parfitt

Post by Ian Parfitt »

Once I switched my lap harp to the left shoulder and played left hand upper and right hand lower for mostly chords, got on like the proverbial house on fire. I manage very well, although the levers are on the "wrong" side for me.
Norma
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

mutepointe wrote:I'm just curious if anyone can play a guitar, mandolin, whatever right or left-handed?
Yes, to a certain extent...
Did anyone switch?
Yes, although before getting properly serious about it.
Why?
Natural nine-fingered right-hander, with the left hand being the one short-changed. So dabbled with right-handed guitar in my youth before taking a conscious decision to start over left-handed as a trainee music teacher.
Can you play the one instrument right or left so that the strings are upside down in one of those directions?
Can play a right-handed bass quite passably upside-down, and frequently do to demonstrate things if my own bass isn't handy. Have never tried refingering chords for upside-down play, but tune my class instruments right-handed and can still play a few chords that way despite right-handed guitar now feeling all wrong to me as a right-hander!
MTGuru wrote:My left-handed high school rock band mate, Jimmy Haslip - who is now more famous as the long time bassist with The Yellowjackets - played, and still plays, electric bass guitar upside-down, with the strings not reversed.
It's really not that hard (at least not impossible!) with bass, but far less practicable (sure, I know it's been done!) for chordal guitar.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

The people on this site never cease to amaze me. If you ever get a chance to video switching, please share that with us.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Peter Duggan wrote:Quote:
Can you play the one instrument right or left so that the strings are upside down in one of those directions?

Can play a right-handed bass quite passably upside-down, and frequently do to demonstrate things if my own bass isn't handy. Have never tried refingering chords for upside-down play, but tune my class instruments right-handed and can still play a few chords that way despite right-handed guitar now feeling all wrong to me as a right-hander!
I was going to post this when the question was originally asked but thought it didn't apply. But since you mention it.
I know a few folks that play electric bass guitar and also play mandolin(or fiddle) as do I. For chords and note positions the bass is just a big mandolin turned upside down. And the Mandolin is a like pocket bass turned upside down. The bass strings being being arranged as E-A- D-G and the mandolin strings being G-D-A-E. I've converted more than one bass player to mando just by telling them that trick.

Does that count?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.