Dropped D hints for newbie?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Dropped D hints for newbie?

Post by brewerpaul »

Hi-- just saw Mary Coogan accompanying Joanie Madden and think I'd like to add dropped D tuning to my repertoire. I don't currently play guitar for Celtic music (mandolin and whistle mainly) but used to play a lot of folk guitar and am pretty decent.
Any hints or pointers on how to incorporate this tuning?
BTW--figuring out how to tune the guitar is not an issue, but if you put "dropped D" into YouTube, you'll find a LOT of videos on how to do this simple, self evident thing
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
JTC111

Re: Dropped D hints for newbie?

Post by JTC111 »

brewerpaul wrote:Hi-- just saw Mary Coogan accompanying Joanie Madden and think I'd like to add dropped D tuning to my repertoire. I don't currently play guitar for Celtic music (mandolin and whistle mainly) but used to play a lot of folk guitar and am pretty decent.
Any hints or pointers on how to incorporate this tuning?
BTW--figuring out how to tune the guitar is not an issue, but if you put "dropped D" into YouTube, you'll find a LOT of videos on how to do this simple, self evident thing
I use it, but sparingly. I don't find much use for it except for when I'm playing something in D tuning. And I'll only use it then if I really feel the need to have that low root in the bass ...usually I'm happy to use the F# 3rd and not tune down.

If you really want to have some fun, play around in DADGAD tuning.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
fiddlerwill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

I use it a lot, but only for fingerpicking /picking tunes in D and D minor. for backing I go straight back to standard as this is where I am comfortable. I dont use Dadgad , its a completely different system and Id rather put the energy in learning the tunes. I use open chords, D, G with the d on the B string added, A/A7. Am G, that kind of thing, intently listening for the changes which can come hard and fast as well as key changes. So thats my advice; keep it simple root chords occasional inversions, no substitution or a touch only and Follow The Tune.
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I play almost exclusively in Dropped-D for Irish backup. Will post or PM when I'm awake. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

fiddlerwill wrote:I dont use Dadgad , its a completely different system.
It's really a great tuning once you get comfortable in it. When I first started using it, I thought it was fairly limiting, but I got a chance to sit down for 30 minutes or so with the guitarist for the McDades one night some years back after a show and he showed me how he plays tunes in F in DADGAD tuning. My eyes were opened.
Jim

maracirac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by maracirac »

i suggest you to try to find mad for trad cd rom guitar tutorial, where tutor was john doyle. it is worth money..... on that cd rom on concertina was niall vallely.......
personally, when i am not play flute, i play dadgag guitar ,because i like a lot that tunning, which gives a richness in sound .....
marin
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

JTC111 wrote:...I got a chance to sit down for 30 minutes or so with the guitarist for the McDades one night some years back after a show and he showed me how he plays tunes in F in DADGAD tuning. My eyes were opened.
You mean he puts a capo on the 3rd fret?

Eskin used to have a bunch of dropD videos
which I found helpful, but I'm having a hard
time finding them now.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

fearfaoin wrote:
JTC111 wrote:...I got a chance to sit down for 30 minutes or so with the guitarist for the McDades one night some years back after a show and he showed me how he plays tunes in F in DADGAD tuning. My eyes were opened.
You mean he puts a capo on the 3rd fret?

Eskin used to have a bunch of dropD videos
which I found helpful, but I'm having a hard
time finding them now.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. No capo. He was playing in F in DADGAD without the use of a capo.
Jim

Greg Connor
Tell us something.: I'm facinated by the simplicity and the ability of the irish whistle. I use it mainly for accent while recording music.

Post by Greg Connor »

I like Drop D tuning, but it can be overdone. I think someone mentioned that earlier. I play a lot of finger style in Drop D because of that drone sound, and alternate bass picking.

I've seen some people use two guitars to go back and forth, but it only takes 15 seconds to drop to D, and another 15 to retune to E. Most crowds will wait that long, especially when you have some little story to keep them occupied.

Here is a picture of my new Martin D 28 which just happens to be sitting on the stand right now
Tuned to Open D

greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hey Greg, nice guitar. Pretty sunburst on that D-28 too! Hope it sounds as good as it looks, and it should. Always liked the Martin D sound, especially after they mature a bit and get played in. Good luck with it, and as always, enjoy! Makes a nice stage presentation too, if you don't mind taking it on the road.

Have a blast!
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Greg, congratulations on the new Martin. :thumbsup:
Greg Connor wrote:I like Drop D tuning, but it can be overdone.
Well, I'm not quite sure what you could mean by "overdone". Fortunately, there's no law of guitar tuning. There are some, like myself, who play almost exclusively in Dropped-D (for IRTrad). Others may play exclusively in DADGAD, or "Finn McGinty", or something else. It's all just playing guitar. Maybe I play too much guitar (!), but that has nothing to do with tuning. From my POV, I might say that playing in standard EADGBE tuning is overdone. :wink:
Greg Connor wrote:I've seen some people use two guitars to go back and forth, but it only takes 15 seconds to drop to D, and another 15 to retune to E. Most crowds will wait that long, especially when you have some little story to keep them occupied.
But it's not quite that simple. Tuning to Dropped-D may involve retuning the entire instrument for maximum consonance of Just fifths or fourths or other intervals for your preferred chording. Whereas for other non-modal musics I may just settle for ET (e.g. with a tuner) for more flexibility. If you're tuning to Dropped-D as a complete system, and not just to give you an extended bottom note, it's almost guaranteed that just dropping the 6th string to match the 4th is not going to give you the best result.

That said, I've considered installing a Hipshot tuner on the 6th string. This is basically similar in concept to a Keith banjo tuner. You set up two preset stops for E and D, then switch between them with the flick of a lever. It's not ideal, but convenient if you do a lot of changing between the two on the fly,

Greg Connor
Tell us something.: I'm facinated by the simplicity and the ability of the irish whistle. I use it mainly for accent while recording music.

Post by Greg Connor »

MTGuru wrote:Greg, congratulations on the new Martin. :thumbsup:

That said, I've considered installing a Hipshot tuner on the 6th string. This is basically similar in concept to a Keith banjo tuner. You set up two preset stops for E and D, then switch between them with the flick of a lever. It's not ideal, but convenient if you do a lot of changing between the two on the fly,

I don't think you are going to be happy with a Hipshot tuner MT, not if the above explanation is any indication of your tuning standards. If you do install one, I'll be curious to know how you like it.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

You're probably right, Greg. Plus, I'm reluctant to make modifications to my Martin. But still, the Hipshot is a cool toy. And who doesn't love a cool toy? :-)

matt

Post by matt »

I use a hipshot D tuner. It is awesome, assuming you need to retune your 6th string between E & D. I change tunings a fair bit, so it's perfect for me. You don't have to make any modifications on the instrument, it is made so you can use the existing screw holes. Just pull out the old tuner & drop in the hipshot.

You can *only* use it on the low string because of the mechanism. and when you change strings, it takes a bit of messing around & retuning to get both the E & D in tune, but once you do, I've found it to be very reliable.

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.p ... etail&p=87

as far as the issues of tempering the whole instrument: I find that changing the low string alone doesn't really mess up the whole of the instrument. Of course you can spend hours tweaking, but getting a guitar "in tune" is such a compromise anyway. If I'm happy with it in standard & I flick the lever, I'm generally happy with it in dropped d. This does assume the instrument is set up well with a good nut, etc.
Jose' Scotte' Este'

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

I hope this wasn't mentioned already, as I just skimmed this thread, but ..

John Doyle has an instructional video for playing Irish accompaniment on the guitar and I think on the video he uses exclusively dropped D. I used to own the video (lent it out....now its gone??) but it is a great video and has some great box playing by John Williams.
"Luck is important"