Bouzouki... floating bridge or fixed/pin bridge?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Ballyshannon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bouzouki... floating bridge or fixed/pin bridge?

Post by Ballyshannon »

I recently got a Trinity College zouk and it's actually quite nice for the $. Having played DADGAD guitar in an Irish/Celtic band for years, the zouk has come fairly easy and I'm now looking for something a little better but without breaking the bank. BTW, the zouk is tuned to GDAD for backing and don't play much lead. The TC came set up as octave, but after some experimenting, I've elected to run the low D (3rd) in unison and leave the low G (4th) as octave. Just has a really nice ring and overall sound with that setup.

Anyway, I found a nice looking Sitka/maple Webber zouk at a shop online and the sound clip sounds very good, and is affordable. The Webber has a fixed pin bridge, which I think I may prefer since a floating bridge can get knocked out of place fairly easily, as I've done a few times on the TC. The Webber also has a deeper body with a deeper tone than the TC.

Any of you zouk players have preferences regarding floating vs. fixed bridges? I know Donal Lunney plays a fixed/pin bridge zouk.

I'd also like to hear some input from Webber zouk owners regarding likes, dislikes, etc.

Thanks
DC
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Bouzouki... floating bridge or fixed/pin bridge?

Post by s1m0n »

The classic zouk sound requires a floating bridge; that's what gives it its loud, bright, complex character. A fixed bridge instrument requires a much stiffer top and stronger bracing, resulting in a darker sound, rounder perhaps but with much less buzz. Both have their strengths, but you should be aware that a large majority of the instruments that get called a bouzouki (or a mandolin, for that matter) will be floating-bridge instruments. Personally, I'd be more inclined to refer to the latter as a lute than I would as either a cittern or zouk.

That said, the one fixed-bridge 8 string axe I've met was one I heartily approved of. It sounded good, and acquiring one of my own remains an ambition.

Lastly, in what's becoming one classic form of irish rhythm section - ie, both guitar and bouzouki - I suspect that the contrast between the bright zouk and the darker sound of a fixed-bridge guitar is part of what allows them to coexist without stepping on each other and turning to mud.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I've found that mandolin-family instruments with fixed bridges take on a somewhat guitar-like quality. They start to loose their 'mandoliny-ness'. Not that I think they sound bad (my primary stage mandolin is an Ovation with a fixed bridge), but they take on a different character.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

Here's the Webber I'm looking at. Click on the sound clip at the top.
http://www.paramountguitars.net/gtr/Web ... uki_ms.htm

Still has that zouk sound but definitely deeper and more "guitar-like" than my thinner body, floating bridge zouk that's brighter and pretty loud. At times, I'll be playing the only rhythm instrument in the band (guitar or zouk), so this may fit my needs.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

To me it sounds like you just need someone to say 'Go for it!'. So...go for it!!! :D

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

Tim2723 wrote:To me it sounds like you just need someone to say 'Go for it!'. So...go for it!!! :D
Ah, you may be right! But there are other things to consider. The sound clip is played open and I use a capo quite a bit, so I'm going to contact the shop owner and ask him to check it with a capo at different frets and see if it still rings nicely with good intonation.

UPDATE. I decided to forego looking for another bouzouki for now since the TC is actually pretty decent with excellent intonation, good tone and playability. Just ordered a K&K Twin Spot Mandolin pickup and preamp that will join the K&K family of pickups used in my guitars.
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

Just an update. I'm liking the TC more and more. I've installed the K&K pickup and have gone to unison on both bottom pair of strings which provides more strength on the bottom end. The pickup sounds fantastic and the bouzouki itself is starting to break in and sounds great.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

That's cool! congratulations.

Having changed the bottom two courses to unison tuning, do you really have a bouzouki anymore? Sounds like a long-scale octave mandolin to me.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info