6 string v 12 string guitar

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

6 string v 12 string guitar

Post by mutepointe »

I only occasionally play a 6 string just because I don't even own one anymore. Only when I'm visiting out-of-town friends and didn't bring my guitar would this happen. It hurts to play a 6 string now. They say it hurts to play a 12 string. I think it's easier to play a 12 string. When people who don't play guitar ask me about this, I usually comment: "If you had to walk a tightrope and were given the choice of walking across one tightrope or two tightropes, which would you chose?" This is the best comment that I can think to say. Does anyone else have anything to add to this topic?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: 6 string v 12 string guitar

Post by brewerpaul »

Although you're pressing down 2x the number of strings with a 12 string, the double strings spread the string pressure over a larger area of the fingertip. In essence, it feels like you're pressing a single really fat string instead of a very thin one.
I find the mandolin very comfortable to play for this reason.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I agree. I also am comfortable with the mandolin for that reason, and I find the 12-string guitar even more comfortable than the mandolin. I think it has to do with the longer strings and lower tensions.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Tim2723 wrote:I agree. I also am comfortable with the mandolin for that reason, and I find the 12-string guitar even more comfortable than the mandolin. I think it has to do with the longer strings and lower tensions.
I think you are right here. Doesn't it depend mostly on the string gauges you use and the action of the instrument? The string sets customarily used on 12 string guitars are light-ish gauges for obvious reasons - tension. So that could be a reason that a 12 string feels more comfortable.

And how do you set-up your 12 string? Are the octave strings on the top of each course or the bottom? Could that make a difference in where the double course hits your fingertips?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I like how you folks always explain things to me. It never crossed my mind that string gauge mattered for pressing down. No wonder using other people's 6 string guitars hurt. I noticed their strings are always way heavier gauge than I prefer. At least I noticed that. My preference is D'Addario X-Light Phosphorus Bronze. I am not rockin! The bass player (and maker) in our group gave me Elixir Lights for Christmas that I'll be putting on later this evening. I put the strings on in the order they tell you to do that. Are there people who mess with the cosmic harmony of guitar string placement?
白飞梦
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

mutepointe wrote:I put the strings on in the order they tell you to do that. Are there people who mess with the cosmic harmony of guitar string placement?
Sure! People mess with everything. Switching the octave strings does require a new nut (at least) with string slots for the different string gauges. But it is done regularly. If you look at how Rickenbacker strings their twelve strings you will notice that they do it different from most every other maker. You wouldn't think it would make much difference but it's part of their signature sound. I only asked because it may have a bearing on where you develop the callouses on your finger tips. And that could have a bearing on what you feel when you contact the single strings on a 6 string guitar.

You'll probably like the Elixir strings.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I put the strings on with the heavy one uppermost of the pair. But that's only because the instrument came that way and I never thought about changing the nut. And as far as I can tell, you're right about 12-stringers having lighter gauges overall. I think if you put twelve heavy-gauge strings on it, it would collapse. That probably helps. I know my five-string banjo has very long, thin strings, and it takes practically no effort to fret them. Mandolins have relatively thick, short strings under surprisingly high tension. If you were to simply scale the whole thing up to guitar size, the strings would be like clothesline. It doesn't work that way in reality, of course. The guitar-size mandolin (the mandocello) uses guitar-like strings.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I did a search of Rickenbacker strings and read a couple of paragraphs of the sound they were achieving and how A Hard Day's Night by the Beatles had one of the Beatles (I forget who) played a Rickenbacker and everyone went gaga over that sound that was achieved. I listened to the song on YouTube. I could tell the difference. Now I wonder which came first, my total ambivelance for the Beatles (sorry folks) or that sound. When I buy a new 12 string, I may experiment and change the order of the string on my current guitar just to see what I would sound like.

Funny Story:
Somehow I missed the Beatles growing up and besides their hit songs heard on radios and elevators in passing, I don't think I ever heard them much. So, I checked out of the library a double CD of theirs. The CD was red, I know that. As I was listening to the songs in the car, I started snapping my fingers and telling them to speed it up people. Are they really icons of rock? I thought Andy Williams could beat them in a foot race.
Last edited by mutepointe on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
白飞梦
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I'm not sure the Rickenbacker sound comes just from the order of the string pairs, but maybe it has something to do with it. I'm 51 years old, so I was just a small child when the Beatles hit the scene. I never got into them very much. I'd rather hear Andy Williams. Then again, there will thankfully always be people who ignore the mainstream in favor of things like tin whistle music.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
unregulated

Post by unregulated »

the tune "Warrens Clean Slate" is played on a 12'er with the normal / octave strings swapped around - theres a good reason for this
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheGeordieAdams