Crazy idea....

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
JTC111
antispam: No

Re: Crazy idea....

Post by JTC111 »

gerardo1000 wrote:What happens if I buy an ultra-cheap 12 string guitar, take out the first and the last pair of strings, and re-string it with 8 mando-cello strings ? (Of course, widening the nut slots).
The overall tension of the strings will be around 126 kilos as opposed to 115 kilos for 12 guitar strings,
so tension shouldn't be a problem. Yes, the neck will be too wide, but then you cannot have everything.
This idea came to my mind because I would like to buy a mandocello but I never played one, and they are very expensive (over 1500 dollars).
In this way I can get a cheaply made "mandocello" and understand if I like the instrument, before deciding to invest so much money in a real mandocello.
Has anyone tried this ? Thank you for your advise.
I'd be careful about overtensioning the neck. It could leave the guitar needing repair when you're done if you leave the strings on for any amount of time. What I'd do instead is buy a regular 12 string guitar set and use the ADBE (5421) strings and tune them to GDAD. The action might be a bit high since you're putting less tension than normal on the neck but the chance of causing damage is pretty much eliminated.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
a.proszynski
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Crazy idea....

Post by a.proszynski »

As I promised. I just have finnished convert my guitar to bouzar. I have used strings:10,14,28,40 but tension is to low. I have to change it to 12 or 13. As I wrote the neck was broken but I glued it. I made a new saddle to. Some photos:

All costs about $100