Trad String Instruments on Youtube

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Re: Trad String Instruments on Youtube

Post by fearfaoin »

Rob Sharer wrote:The banjo is a 20s Vega Tubaphone guitar-banjo. The feet are, I suspect, stock.
Yeah, but the shoes, man, the shoes.

That looks like a good time. Great playing!
Jleo Fipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Claw Hammer Banjo

Post by Jleo Fipple »

My brother has taken up Tenor banjer in the past few years unbeknown to me and therefore grabbing my interest just now so I'm delving and absorbing as you do

How to Play Claw Hammer Banjo - Part 1

[Broken URL fixed. - Mod]
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Here's one of me. In my house the other night. I was fed up and a bit cross at the start of it, and I think it shows. The tune pulled me round, though. :)

Oh, and to get my excuses in, it was a one-take thing when I had just picked up my fiddle and started playing. 'Cos I was moody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciBOeLTTvFE
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Posted this trad style original song Coins on the Ground played on my Fylde long scale archtop bouzouki at my recent EP release (free download and streaming link below).
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Posted another original song from that show Can't Stop Trying.
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

Just posted the last of the release show videos; Lonseome City.
GreenWood
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Post by GreenWood »

Slightly different traditional strings, this is baroque guitar, which is parent to modern guitar, with traditional @ 1700 or earlier dance music being played, at least Canarios is originally a dance tune.

Miguel Rincón

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vJPVS_uZitI
GreenWood
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Post by GreenWood »

As this thread is quite quiet, I will add in some Verdiales for the violin and guitar.

Verdiales festival is an old tradition from Malaga region of Spain and it goes back before any history of its start, i.e. several hundred years at least, some think pre-roman, incorporating styles and instruments along the way.

Flamenco is a very broad term, though often Verdiales is classed as flamenco, it is considered pre-flamenco and a contributor to . There are various traditional venues that occur where bands gather at a particular village or locality. My only memory of it is being driven into the mountains behind Malaga in the 80's, and being told the bands were trying to outplay each other (at the same time), lots of people drinking wine from goatskins, milling around or layed out drunk by the roadside. Nowadays it is a bit more promoted and so sometimes less spontaneous maybe, by looking at newer videos.

So here is some violin, lute and guitar played more recently but clearer to understand.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VDmTq1-roR8

And here is a more natural setting from the 80's, where they pick on someone to dance and onlookers keep paying for him to dance a certain way... has to wear a hat... has to... and so on. I just include it to give some idea of what it is as tradition, there are older (slightly staged) documentaries as well as a lot of more recent raucous to be found online (Search terms are Verdiales and Panda which is the band).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MWfBREX16rw
Hauke
Tell us something.: I'm an old folkie, play some instruments and made some own things, like different genres and play scottish and Irish music for over 30 years.

Post by Hauke »

Here I'd like to share two of my videos with you.

First is playing "King of the fairies" on my new Eastman mandolin (at that time).
https://youtu.be/9oWjLPZFywo

And the second is written by myself, recorded with some of my other new instruments.
https://youtu.be/h27caj94Upo

Hope you like it a little. :)