Fiddle inspiration for a beginner

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Gusten
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Fiddle inspiration for a beginner

Post by Gusten »

Hi all,

I've played the fiddle for almost a year now, and I think it's comming along nicely. Intonation is becomming less of a hazzle, and I get less squeaking noices all the time. (It mainly comes when quickly and frequently switching between the A and E string.)

I'm looking for good inspiration to listen to and try to mimic. It shouldn't be too advanced or played at too high speed, as I want to try and copy the playing entirely (it's ornamentation that I'm currently looking for inspiration for). Any advice on artists I could listen to for this purpose? Someone who plays a bit slow, with a lot of "feel" and stylish ornamentation for me to mimic. (When learning the banjo, I listened alot to Angelina Carberry, as she normally plays at a very reasonable tempo and puts more effort into "feel" than showing off.)

Any advice is most welcome! (Except for "get a teacher", as there are few to come by in Sweden that teach ITM.)
Gusten
Mandolin & Concertina player in
Long Gone Leprechaun
phloots
antispam: No

Re: Fiddle inspiration for a beginner

Post by phloots »

I believe I emailed you yesterday. I highly recommend "The Irish Fiddle Book" by Matt Cranitch. Published by Ossian Publications, 14-15 Berners Street, London, WIT 3LJ, UK. The book includes a CD. It's most useful if you can read standard notation. The CD is great, with tunes played at various speeds and lots of info on ornamentation.

Fiddle on!
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

1) Kevin Burke (solo or with Bothy Band, Patrick Street or collaborations) - Terrific player. Plenty of soul, and a bowing arm to die for.

2) John Sheahan (Dubliners) - Not entirely trad. JS has some classical training back in the misty days of his youth. The thing with John is that his playing is very smooth and musical. Some would say it lacks the edge of the trad masters, but for a beginner some of the old payers can sound really rough and it can take a while to recognise the passion in their playing*.[/list]

I wouldn't recommend John as a fashionable role model for bowed triplets / trebles though. On some recordings he tends to articulate the separate notes more than many. If you listen to Tommy Peoples you'll hear much more of a crunch - although Tommy's triplets aren't typical either... Actually, for that technique, Kevin Burke's Irish Fiddle tutorial DVDs, or Charlie Lennon's DVD are probably better sources.

You should probably listen to as many of the old guard as possible, but (at risk of flame) I'd say that people like Sheahan and Burke are a gentler introduction. Sheahan is very easy listening and Burke more "authentic". Both eliminate many of the rougher edges that can put people off the old recordings.

*When I first heard recordings of Dublin fiddler Ted Furey (Dad of Finbar, Eddie and co.) I thought "What a flippin' racket". Now I love his stuff. Not the best, by any means, but very individual and he really went for it (despite sometimes being accompanied by the most random bodhran player you could hope (not) to encounter).

A story the Dubs have told more than once:

Stephane Grappeli once went to a Dubs gig. Afterwards Ronnie or Barney or someone pointed at John Sheahan and asked Stephane what he thought of the fiddler.

"He plays the tin whistle beautifully," Stephane replied.

Which reminds me. Check out the stuff on YouTube with Stephane Grappeli with De Dannan's Frankie Gavin where they play 'Sweet Georgia Brown'. Grappeli could be cruel at times (in a funny way). Just look how he tortures poor Frankie. Talk about rabbit-in-the-headlights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31-8MLA5kdU
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Drat I waffle too much.

If I had to pick one example it'd be Kevin Burke, both as a recording artist and as a teacher on his DVD tutorials.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Ian Parfitt

Post by Ian Parfitt »

I would recommend looking up Ali Bain on Youtube for tone and positioning. Hope its OK to post
Ians wife who plays fiddle and harp!
fiddlerwill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

I unreservedly recomend the playing of Bobby Casey and Paddy Canny for Clare playing.
John Vesey for a Sligo Style and Johnny Doherty as A Donegal Stylist. Kerry players Padraig O'Keefe and Dennis Murphy.
Of course there are some excellent modern day players but , for me, these guys are what Irish fiddling is about.

This is what I listen to for inspiration. Certainly get the Kevin Burke DVD's if you dont have them. He is a great player and a gentleman .
Also recently got inspired by Brendan Mulvihill.
Ok you cant play along with these guys unless you use slow down software I suppose.
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

This isn't the type of inspiration that you asked for but this is what keeps me learning. Any time that I pick up a new instrument, I say to myself, "Snot-nosed grade school kids can figure this out. So can I."
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Gusten

Post by Gusten »

mutepointe wrote:This isn't the type of inspiration that you asked for but this is what keeps me learning. Any time that I pick up a new instrument, I say to myself, "Snot-nosed grade school kids can figure this out. So can I."
Wow, I've taken a way too long Away-From-Forum! Thank you all for the helpful advice and inspiration! There seem to be more books out there than I'd thought, but I now have the Kevin Burke DVD's, and they seem very helpful. He knows what he's doing, there's no arguing about that!

And mutepointe - that's exactly the reason why I picked up playing the fiddle. I've played ITM on the mandolin for some years now, and thought to myself "how hard can fiddling really be?" Really darn hard, it turns out, but not as hard as I first thought it'd be.
Gusten
Mandolin & Concertina player in
Long Gone Leprechaun