In Search of the Perfect Pick

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Re: In Search of the Perfect Pick

Post by Feadoggie »

Inner Light wrote:You should visit some pure guitar forums, like Fenderforums.com or others. You'll see, it can get much "worse", means: longer.
Imagine that, using the terms "pure guitar" and "Fender" in the same sentence. :) Ok, I admit to presently owning two Fender guitars but I have to keep them isolated away from the Gretschs, Guild, Rickenbaker, Gibsons and Martins so as not to contaminate them. :D

Joking aside, I live on the outskirts of Nazareth, PA. The Martin factory is up the road. Guitar culture is fully interwoven in the fabric of life around here. Most people here play, many very seriously, and there is a steady stream of pilgrim guitarists coming off the Interstate to kneel in thanks at the altar in the lobby of the Sycamore street plant. You never know which rock, country or folk god you'll run into at the quickie mart to re-hydrate themselves after having just toured the Martin factory. It's really quite surreal at times.

So, after 50+ years of guitar playing and living here in Guitarland, I am still very much amused at how people go on and on about picks. And believe me, regular guitar players don't go on about them nearly as much as the Dobro pickers do. I am easily amused I guess.

I have to go file my guitar picks. They're getting a little long.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Inner Light
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Inner Light »

Feadoggie wrote:Imagine that, using the terms "pure guitar" and "Fender" in the same sentence. :) Ok, I admit to presently owning two Fender guitars but I have to keep them isolated away from the Gretschs, Guild, Rickenbaker, Gibsons and Martins so as not to contaminate them. :D

So, after 50+ years of guitar playing and living here in Guitarland, I am still very much amused at how people go on and on about picks.
Well, I heard both statements over and over again. :wink:

All I can say is: there's a place for every guitar in this world and there's a place for guitarists who cannot hear differences for whatever reason or simply don't care about materials used .... or both.
It's useless to discuss. :tomato:
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Inner Light wrote:
Feadoggie wrote:It is amusing to me that this thread has gone on as long as it has.
Feadoggie
You should visit some pure guitar forums, like Fenderforums.com or others. You'll see, it can get much "worse", means: longer.

These are things one can discuss for ages! Just like pickups, strings, brands etc....
Everybody has his favorites for a reason.

In fact, nothing beats personal testing but if everybody would do, there would be no forums. :lol:
A pick actually is a very important means of forming sound.
The only helpful advice would be: go to the store and buy one of each. Then sit at home and take your time to choose. The leftovers can be thrown into the cheering crowd from the stage, ha ha ha. :lol:
Thank you two for your comments. I have started here threads about capos, strings, bridge pins, and probably some other things. I was surprised at the amount of information shared. I think the right amount of people is here to provide valuable information and differences of preferences with a scholarly explanation on each aspect. I played for years with very little technical mentoring. One choir director bought me strings. I didn't even know they needed changed frequently. And I do have to say that most of my preferences were achieved through trial and error and with the explanations that were provided here afterwards, I was pretty much on the right track for me, taking into account my resources. The last step in my evolution will be buying a 12 string acoustic electric. That isn't happening any time soon but that will be the end of the acoustic guitar equipment journey. Oh, and wireless equipment when that becomes cheaper than wires. I do not like wires.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
maxnew40

Post by maxnew40 »

When I started playing guitar I used thin picks becuase it seemed to make strumming easier, but as I progressed I noticed that it made single note runs harder to play due to the flexing of the pick material. I switched to thick picks on the advice of someone who I can't remember (I think it was a print article) and have never gone back to a thin pick.

I currently use Dunlop Nylon 1 MM.

I don't know what to suggest to try to find the ick for you, but I would visit a few shops to see if they they carry different brands and type and give them a try.

-Max
lordofthestrings

Post by lordofthestrings »

I use light Fender 346's for mandolin, and find it to be very versitile: 3 playing 'points' so I can rotate a pick a 1/3 turn if I chip one or if one gets dull, and I have found that if I flex the pick inward or outward (think hard shell taco shape, but not as extreme) I can essentially change the stiffness of the pick, and this comes in mondo helpful for alternating between styles, strum chords and melodic lines all without changing pick while producing a wide range of effects and distinct timbres.

For everything else (zouk, tenor banjo, etc.) I'm not so 'picky', and will use almost any medium or medium-heavy pick in the general Fender 351 shape, with one crucial difference: I sharpen the tip to a sharp point, flat beveling the hard edge on each side. I find this gives great attack and articulation, makes individual note work simple, and the bevels keep the pick from getting 'caught' in the strings (especially double course instruments like zouk or octave mando) and potentially wrenched from my fingers while playing. I've also done this sharpening to one point on the thin 346's, although this gets pretty brittle for both the tone and pick structure.

I believe one's personal playing style, especially when starting out, is greatly influenced by what type of pick you choose. I don't think there is a 'wrong' choice, it's whatever you feel the most comfortable with and will allow you to create the kind of sound and playing technique you're after. A big factor in choosing a pick (imho) is the sustainability factor: if you're at a gig, and your only pick snaps or gets misplaced when you go up for a pint, what do you do? Hopefully, you have extra at hand, but if you are/were using a hard to find pick or one-of-a-kind, you'll probably get that knot in your stomach (I've been there!). If you can't reliably replace what you have and know that you have a hard time adjusting to other picks, you're in a bind. I've developed my style/preference for the Fender 351 shape (the most common shape) so I know I can always find these, many players have these to spare, and with a few strokes of the pocket knife I'm in business.

What I'm trying to say is: go out to your local shop, buy a bunch of picks in different shapes, thicknesses, materials, etc that are readily available, by brands like Fender and Dunlop and expirament. Try trimming, sharpening, blunting, and beveling edges to see what you think. It makes for an enjoyable afternoon. If you find something you like from these common types (modified or unmodified) you'll know that you have a good sustainablilty factor, being able to always buy more if you need. You'll also be able to avoid what I call 'pick paranoia', ie constantly worrying that your 'pick of destiny' might get displaced, and then you'll have to adjust to something new. Granted, some folks don't seem to be bothered by switching between any kind of pick, but I know I sure have my preferences!
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

I play a Martin D-35 with medium-light strings tuned in Double drop D mostly to accompany folks in sessions. I prefer the Dunlop nylon .60 nylon for most things, especially strumming. I occasionally use a .88 for a little more volume, harder attach, picking melodies. I buy them 6-10 dozen at a time, that way if a pick falls to the pub floor at night, I don't worry about it.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.