In Search of the Perfect Pick

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Tor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: In Search of the Perfect Pick

Post by Tor »

I've figured out the following rules of thumb over the years - at least they work for me:

1) Thin picks works best for thick strings (e.g. an acoustic strung with medium strings)
2) The thinner the strings, the thicker the pick. So, for electric I prefer something in the Jazz series (I/II/II).
3) Dunlop Jazz picks are small, and work better for picking than for strumming, so for strumming I prefer Sharkfin-sized. For picking the small size is actually better for those thin strings.

So, I apply the algorithm as follows:

Code: Select all

Heavy strings, yes/no?
  If yes: Select very thin Sharkfin brand, whether it's for picking or strumming. 
          The  thickest strings need the thinnest model.
  If no: Strumming, yes/no?
     If yes: Select thick Sharkfin-shaped pick, doesn't have to be actual Sharkfin brand.
     If no: Select Jazz pick, the thinner the strings the thicker the model.
-Tor
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I'm playing acoustic guitars in a folk style. I've come to xl string and the thinnest picks I could find and the lightest metal finger and thumb picks that I have found. I have tried heavier strings and heavier picks in all combinations when I've borrowed friends' guitars. I'm best pleased with my preference.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
liestman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by liestman »

I think you can't really say what thickness of pick works best for what thickness of string. It depends too much on style, instrument, strumming vs single note picking, etc. Personally I use a heavy gauge pick on heavier strings, but a much thinner pick for playing Irish music on tenor banjo and a heavy pick when playing the same on mandolin - both of which have the same gauge and tension of strings. To each his own is, I think, the only rule in this area.
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
Mrfinnj

Post by Mrfinnj »

ive found a nice 70mm does the job for me, light enough for a nice rasp but hard enough for a nice bit of lead! :D
For the best Irish Country & Trad CD's Visit http://www.irishcountry.ie
iriSHred

Post by iriSHred »

I've been using the same pick for a number of years now with great success. As a flatpicker, I like a nice stiff pick that gives me the control that I need. That said, my guitar case is loaded with Dunlop delrin 1.5mm picks (the light purple ones). They're the traditional teardrop shape and I find that the delrin glides off the strings nicely and gives me a lot of control.

I've experimented with TONS of different picks over the years and I've merely found one that works for ME. My best advice is to keep experimenting and don't settle until you find that pick that really feels right in your hand :)
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Here's a craftman question.

Here is an image of the thumb pick that I use.

Here is an image that shows a side view of a different thumb pick but this shows how the pick has a flat sided fold and doesn't have a nice rounded fold. This is the same kind of fold that my thumb pick has. What type of tool could I use to get a more rounded fold? I would like to have a completely round fold so that the pick fits on my thumb better.
白飞梦
Tonehole

Post by Tonehole »

Pliers?

I have a set of these metal ones as well as the plastic ones.

The metal ones fly off my fingers across the room like finger darts when I'm really working the strings. I've tried bending them and deforming them but they just hurt.

The plastic ones are a bit better - seem to stay on.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Tonehole wrote:Pliers?

The metal ones fly off my fingers across the room like finger darts when I'm really working the strings. I've tried bending them and deforming them but they just hurt.

You play guitar with pliers? :o

... oh wait ...
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Tonehole wrote:Pliers?

The metal ones stay on my fingers fine but I do know what you mean about them hurting. I did mark the two finger picks so that I would know which was for which finger so that I would quit bending them more than necessary. If someone has a solution for the hurt, speak up.

I don't like the sound of the plastic ones. I don't play fast. I don't do anything fast, so picks flying off isn't my problem.
白飞梦
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

mutepointe wrote:What type of tool could I use to get a more rounded fold? I would like to have a completely round fold so that the pick fits on my thumb better.
Metal ring sizer mandrel, also known as a "Jeweler's Stick"? Available at many craft & beading stores.

http://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/H203054TL

You might also find some labelled "Wire Wrap" or jump ring mandrels
http://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/H203303TL

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Thank you.
白飞梦
Inner Light

Post by Inner Light »

mutepointe wrote:I use XL strings on my guitar and prefer a thin pick. Those white Dunlop picks are the best I have found so far. Well, there was a pick I found once. It was a clear triangle in the jar of picks at the local music store. The pick was super thin and plastic. It shattered to pieces after one set. There were no other similar picks in the pick jar. I've search high & low in other pick jars. I've come to the conclusion that I've seen every thin pick on the market. All stores sell the same thing.

Anyone else looking for the perfect pick?
I guess every guitarist does, sooner or later.

First you gotta choose the right material for the sound you want. I've tried many different picks until I finally settled for Tortex.
Tortex is an artificial plastic material which is supposed to get close to the formerly used turtle housing material.
Since we don't want to hunt and kill turtles just to get picks, Tortex is a wonderful substitute.
It produces a nice warm tone, it does not shatter and it lasts relatively long.
The surface is grippy, so it doesn't turn and slip very much when you're sweating.

Second: you need to find out the shape you like best. After playing shark fins for many years, I ended up playing tear drop shapes, because the defined "tip" gives a more perfect control over your attack and the notes are responding faster. With the round edge of the shark fin that's not the case.

Third: You need to find out, what gauge you want to use (thickness of the pick).
As a beginner I started with very thin picks because it's a little easier as long as you don't have proper control about pick positioning and attack strength.
As a beginner I tended to go to deep into the strings. Ifyou do that, you get "stuck" in the strings. Since thin picks are flexible, they give away by bending.
Even though I liked that during my first 5 years or so, it's NOT what you should do.
A thicker pick which doesn't bend gives you much more control over attack and forming the tone but it needs practice to control your picking hand.

I've been playing .88 picks, teardrop, Dunlop Tortex for nearly 10 years now and I'm as happy as can be.

I tried Fender picks but the plastic is too fragile, it shattered/splintered as well.

It can be a long journey to find your most suitable pick for your style but it's worth it to invest maybe 10 dollars to buy a hand full of different brands and material.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

It is amusing to me that this thread has gone on as long as it has. Kudos to Mutepoint.

Personally I've never had to search for the perfect pick. They just grow at the ends of my fingers.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Inner Light

Post by Inner Light »

Feadoggie wrote:It is amusing to me that this thread has gone on as long as it has.
Feadoggie
You should visit some pure guitar forums, like Fenderforums.com or others. You'll see, it can get much "worse", means: longer.

These are things one can discuss for ages! Just like pickups, strings, brands etc....
Everybody has his favorites for a reason.

In fact, nothing beats personal testing but if everybody would do, there would be no forums. :lol:
A pick actually is a very important means of forming sound.
The only helpful advice would be: go to the store and buy one of each. Then sit at home and take your time to choose. The leftovers can be thrown into the cheering crowd from the stage, ha ha ha. :lol:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Inner Light wrote:The leftovers can be thrown into the cheering crowd from the stage, ha ha ha. :lol:
Hey! I've been using V-Picks lately. And at $4 a pop, the spares are staying in my pick box, no matter what articles of underwear they throw at me. :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.