Suggestions for beginner fiddle tunes

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
boatgirl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Suggestions for beginner fiddle tunes

Post by boatgirl »

"Whiskey In the Jar" Nice and simple and my 5 yr old's favorite tune.
Lightheaded Mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lightheaded Mike »

I'm two months into learning fiddle myself, and found that waltzes seem to sit well with learning to bow, and you get all that nice practice with long tones.
Hector the Hero can be played on the D and G strings only.
Josephin's Waltz dips to a Low C and stretches up to a high G but it was very memorable to my kids when they were younger.

Sonny Brogan's jig and Jim Ward's jig are simple too.

It seems that Waltzes, Polkas, and jigs in major keys are the ones that my kids would spontaneously hum. Never reels. :really:
Cheers, Mike
fiddleforfun

Post by fiddleforfun »

Howdie folks
Maybe you could look at a DVD method. There are loads at homespun.com
I'm addicted to them.
If you want an Irish method -try the one with Kevin Burke.
First tune is Britches full of stitches.
You can watch a minute or two of the methods on the site. :party:
Dan
cunparis
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by cunparis »

[Resurrecting an old thread]

I read this thread with interest as I want to do the same thing. My daughter is almost 7 and this is her first year of voilin. She has one 20min private lesson per week.

But after reading the thread, I'm having second thoughts. My instrument is the low whistle and flute. I'm a bit bored with those and I'd also like something chromatic, capable of playing with my daughter when she plays in keys outside of D & G. So I was savings up for a boehm flute.. but when my daughter manages to get a beautiful long tone I just love the sound of the violin so I'm wanting one for myself.

Sometimes my daughter has trouble doing something and I ask her for her violin and I show her how and then she can do it. So I think it's helpful. But I agree that I'd be playing badly and that's not good for her to copy. However, I think the most important thing at her age is to motivate her to practice. Practicing with me would be better than no practice at all. I think.

Yesterday I was doing the free OAIM violin lesson in the other room. My daughter had declined to practice so I was having fun myself. After her movie was over she came over and was dying to get her violin out of my hands! So I think there are lots of positives.

I'm curious how the OP fared with his violin experience. Did it work out?

I plan to contact my daughter's teacher to ask about some private lessons as well. I figure with the OAIM class and a few private lessons I should be able to play at a basic level.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

PJ wrote: I've already tried the pipes. Too loud. Even when it's just the chanter.
You need a flat set! :) Though, your daughter would need to tune down then.

PJ wrote:I've already got the fiddle and have always harboured the secret desire to learn to play it.
Me too, truth to tell. I've always particularly admired the Cajun style of fiddling.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

My daughter is now 10 and still fiddling. Unfortunately, my dreams of starting my own house session have not yet come true, but there's still plenty of time.

We do have one tune which we play together on fiddle and pipes - the Swallow's Tail jig (in Am, not Em). From time to time I take out the fiddle but I don't have as much time as before, and what time I do have I practice my piping.

I still keep an eye out for ITM tunes which I give to her fiddle teacher in the hopes of expanding our repertoire.

Here's a photo from last December:

PJ