Photo of your string instrument

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Photo of your string instrument

Post by MTGuru »

Jandante wrote:Looked up how to post images, but didn't get it..... Could someone please explain
Sure. You would just surround your links with IMG tags, not URL tags as you've done. But those photos are pretty large, so I suggest you leave the links as-is, and allow people to click them to see the pix. Thanks. - Moderator
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Here's my primary stringed instrument these days, a large-bodied 21" scale length Stuart cittern. For Irish music I use it mostly for playing melody, usually tuned GDADA. Definitely the finest octave mandolin/bouzouki/cittern I've yet played. Very strong, resonant, woody sounding bass, ringing high end, terrific sustain, and a very comfortable thin neck and radiused fingerboard. I've been raving about it since it arrived around a month or two ago, as I'm extremely pleased with it.

And here is my main mandolin, an ancient Gibson A2. I also play a good bit on a Weber Aspen and Sonny Morris A style, both of which are very nice, as well, however I prefer the wider string spacing and more nasal tone of the Gibson more. This photo was taken by the seller before I got it, quite some time ago.

And here are both of my old German waldzithers, the one on the left is a longer (at least by waldzither standards) 20" scale length waldzither made by Plückthun & Co, with an arched top, domed back, and very ringing tone, which I keep in GDADA tuning. The flatback on the right has an 18.5" scale length, and is made by Lebens, tuned GDAEA, with a softer sound more similar to the Bohm style waldzithers.

Sorry for the large photos, I don't know how to make them smaller in size.
Brad Maestas
Tell us something.: I love the chiff. I love the fipple. After crumpets and tea I have a tipple. Of slides, taps, cranns, and rolls.

Post by Brad Maestas »

I have been a string player most of my life but I started on trumpet and percussion/drumset before that. For the last twenty years I've spent most of my time as a professional mandolinist, bassist, and guitarist but I've always had all kinds of stuff around: charangos, pandeiros, drumsets, accordions, trombones...you name it. No uilleann pipes though!

As far as traditional string instruments go here are some of mine.

My baby, a 1999 Summit Artist F5 Mandolin by Paul Schneider. With it I have been concertmaster of the New York Mandolin Ensemble for the last three years, going on four.
Image Image

For a time I owned this rare octave mandolin by Charles F. Morrison. Mando crazy man Radim Zenkl took tracings of it when I studied with him.
Great instrument but it just didn't get played enough to justify keeping it. Of course now I wish I had kept it.
Image Image

Gibson J-45 Historic Collection circa 2005. Got it on a trade for my cedar top classical shown below.
A superlative J-45 that rings and rings. Nut and saddle blanks from Bob Colosi.

Loriente Clarita (Cedar/Indian Rosewood) (traded), Alejandro Cervantes Signature Hauser Model (Engelmann Spruce/Cocobolo)

And finally, my beloved double bass by Anton Krutz that's been with me everywhere since 1997
Image Image
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Hmm.. for some reason my above photos disappeared... I never changed anything. They were linked from Facebook and I didn't change my album settings (it is still set to public).
philaowl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by philaowl »

AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

I have photos of my guitars on flickr but when I copy the url it doesnt work as a jpg. I used to use Photobucket but its changed and doesnt really work anymore. The site is loaded with spyware.

Hang on a minute, I have some on deviant art...
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

A photo from a few years back of my guitar family. The strat on the left I gave to a friend and I've since added a mandolin and a ukulele. The little guitar on the right is the kids' JHS Palma 1/2 size which Ive tuned to guitarlele tuning

AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Photo of my blue Tanglewood Super Folk

And my Fender DG5
walrii

Post by walrii »

I just completed this tenor banjolele from plans online. The pot is a Remo hand drum. The neck and fret board are walnut, carved by me. Hardware, nut and bridge are from various online suppliers. Strings are Worth tenor uke strings tuned gCEA, standard uke tuning. Now I need to learn to play it!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ppfzhs266zhxs ... 9.jpg?dl=0

Also, I need to figure out how to post images. I can get the url to the photo in dropbox but when I use the "img" thingie, all I get is the word "Image" as seen above. The file is only about 644kb and the link inside the brackets is the same for both the URL brackets and the Img brackets. :swear:
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Is this any better, walrii?

walrii

Post by walrii »

Perfect, Ben! What was I doing wrong?
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Here’s a photo album for a mandolin I’m helping build. We still have a lit of work left. I’ve set the album to Public so it should be viewable for those without Facebook.
https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#~!/casey.t ... =bookmarks

I don’t think I’ve posted this already, but my memory is awful. Apologies if it’s a repost.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

walrii wrote:Perfect, Ben! What was I doing wrong?
Unfortunately, I've found the same as in previous instances with Dropbox. Dropbox needs to be pen for the picture to be visible. So, sadly, it's not so perfect any more.

What you need is to find a site where you can host photos. I used to use Photobucket, but it doesn't work any more (well, not without paying them a fortune to use it). So, last time I used imgBB. I could try that for this time too. Give me a while though, I'm struggling with a cold at the moment and the brain isn't quite working ...
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

I have two steel string guitars but this is my classical.

Prathamesh579
Tell us something.: I would love to take part in the discussion on music in this forum.There are amazing topics on Flute,Instrumental string instruments,Squeezeboxes and Harmonicas.

Post by Prathamesh579 »

ketida wrote:Ok, here's my babies, super-size-me mandolins. The one on the left is a true octave mandolin, four sets of strings tuned GDAE. The one on the right, back showing, is a one of a kind cittern/mando mix, having both single strings, and sets of strings. They were both made locally by a friend of mine; a seriously talented unknown luthier. I have another one on the way, and probably will ask him to build me a normal size mandolin next.

That is one beautiful mandolin.