Fiddle injuries?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Melody_one
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Fiddle injuries?

Post by Melody_one »

[color=blue][/color] I am considering learning to play the fiddle...traditional Scottish and Irish tunes. Some adults who have played since they were children now have awful back and wrist pain. One woman claims her spine grew into the position of proper fiddle/violin posture. Is this common? Do adults (who only began playing in adulthood) develop back or wrist pain/problems often? To be honest, the posture looks atrocious!!
lordofthestrings
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by lordofthestrings »

I have been a violinist/fiddler for some 8 years now. I must say that the only discomforts I suffer while playing the instrument is TB (Tired Butt) and the occasional ear pains from the people around me playing god knows what. Many 'olde traditional' fiddlers hold their axes at all sorts of odd angles, ie on the chest, etc. This can cause tremendous pain, and is not necessarily advised. However, one who properly supports his fiddle with a straight spine and good posture should suffer little to no discomfort (ecxept varrying stages of the dreaded TB, as mentioned earlier). Hand discomfort and arthritis, carpel tunnel, etc. can develop after many years, but again, playing correctly and warming up the hands should keep this at bay. One could argue that you can get arthritis from spending your time typing on a computer keyboard as well. Pick your battles.

I like to think of it as follows: If you're doing everything right, nothing should hurt.

Hope this help(ed)(s)
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
awildman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by awildman »

most fiddle injuries are because of improper posture. sitting up straight. left wrist straight. body relaxed. if you do these things correctly, very little chance that you will develop any back or wrist pain. Neck pain is actually the most common injury for beginners.

if you want more fiddle information, try www.fiddleforum.com . Good, helpful people over there.