more gypsy stuff

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

more gypsy stuff

Post by rh »

Miwokhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Miwokhill »

oh man...

thanks for sharing that link rh.

mike
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

rh, I got a security warning message on one of the violin videos...then couldn't turn off my computer except for pushing the button...I PM you yesterday asking if you'd had any problems with this but looks like the message got boomeranged back to me somehow....any problems with that site yourself?
mike
rh

Post by rh »

Miwokhill wrote:rh, I got a security warning message on one of the violin videos...then couldn't turn off my computer except for pushing the button...I PM you yesterday asking if you'd had any problems with this but looks like the message got boomeranged back to me somehow....any problems with that site yourself?
mike
No problems here, except the realplayer feed was kind of choppy. Which video was it?

Sometimes Google videos hang up my computer, but i figured it's because i have a Mac G3 and am running Safari or something.

edit: I just played back the two Eddie South clips, i didn't have any problems.
there is no end to the walking
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I just clicked the bottom link and went exploring. There are a lot of videos there--I barely scratched the surface! I have not listened to a lot of this particular kind of music, so I don't know the people, but these videos are really interesting. I watched the Fapy Labertin/Portuguese guitar you posted and listened to his Minor Swing---that was truly incredible. I then clicked on Matelo Feret and Jo Privat/Minor Swing just to listen to the same tune and then I watched Stochelo Rosenberg play it which was also incredible. Then for fun I clicked on the Lafertin/Rosenberg videos. They are in a trailer parking lot camp, Rosenberg is a teenager and he and Lafertin change off with people coming and going. People are attentive, but they aren't dancing around or anything. They're very silent and still. The two videos are pretty bad (whoever made them seems to have found the focus button only one time :lol: ) but to me they are just a fascinating peep into some lives very different than mine. And how cool to see this skinny teenage kid playing away with the grown-ups!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
rh

Post by rh »

I think there's some footage in there of Bireli Lagrene as a kid -- unbelievable stuff.
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

rh, thanks for the feedback...glad to hear it's most likely just a one time glitch...it was one of the eddie south videos.

Are you a fiddler yourself? Could you recommend any books etc? I've been considering getting the Jazz Fiddle Wizard book/cd but don't know if it's good or just ok.

mike
rh

Post by rh »

I played jazz fiddle in my college days, mostly play mandolin now.

When i was playing jazz, Randy Sabien's now out-of-print book was about the only one around. It was okay, maybe his new one is better... but i mostly learned by being at music school and by playing with the Jamey Aebersold records.

Matt Glaser's book looks pretty good, and it is more the "hot jazz" Grappelli/Venuti/South stuff.

Julie Lyonn Lieberman is another violinist who has a series of books. I have the one on preventing injuries, called "You are your instrument", and it is very helpful.

For Gypsy stuff i have the first Robin Nolan Gypsy Jazz playalong cd. It's tabbed out for guitar, but the heads aren't hard to figure out.
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

thanks rh! I've got a couple of the aebersold books/cds but play in something of a vacuum so haven't had the patience/motovation to get into them yet. I see on the site you have posted they also have some books as well.

I read something in Fiddler magazine about Paul Anastasio wanting to get into jazz violin and seeing Joe Venuti play. He asked Venuti after the show if he could take lessons and when he started Venutti told him if he wanted to learn jazz 'don't practice jazz, practice classical. All of jazz is in bach.'

I think I posted this here over a year ago and it got a little mixed response such as 'what do you mean jazz has totally different timing than bach' ...can't really argue the merits of that statement one way or another, I do like playing bach though!
rh

Post by rh »

Bach is great to study for jazz because he was a genius at using melody to outline complex harmonic motion. Most of jazz improvisation is learning to play through chord changes, so the two musics go together well for that.

I don't think Bach ever did this though
:lol:
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

so what's going on there anyway?! Looks like a baroque bow in a way!!

I plunk some mandolin too --I've heard that Bach almost works out better on the mandolin than the violin because of the staccato nature of much of his work.