Why do people who aren't handy, always think they are?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Why do people who aren't handy, always think they are?

Post by Loren »

I get so irritated when I see this sort of thing, perhaps because I've seen so much of it.....

This guy decided to use a Dremel too to "just smooth the end of the nut a bit" You can see the results by following the link, and then clicking on the photo that is second from the bottom on the left. I'd just insert the picture in question, but you need to see how good the finish looks on the rest of the instrument to really appreciate this: http://web.mac.com/ericjungemann/iWeb/S ... aroka.html
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

"Some finish wear on neck"

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Now that is a sandpaper or file job no doubt. Kevin that had to be my favorite line in the description. I would still buy it (if I had $900 laying around) as Webers are NICE.
fearfaoin

Re: Why do people who aren't handy, always think they are?

Post by fearfaoin »

Loren wrote:This guy decided to use a Dremel too to "just smooth the end of the nut a bit"
I can just hear the cursing that ensued when that Dremel slipped!
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Oddly enough, I didn't get the feeling the guy was too broken up about it: Here's what he wrote to me:

"The finish wear on the neck was caused by me . . . some over- industrious smoothing of the new nut with a dremel buffing attachment."

I just can't imagine why one would think that using a 5000-35,000 rpm power tool for such a task, particularly in that area, would be a good idea :-?

For the sake of defenseless instruments everywhere, I'm tempted to mail the guy a narrow, fine cut, pillar file - at least he'd have to work a lot harder to cause that much damage next time :P

Loren
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Loren wrote: For the sake of defenseless instruments everywhere, I'm tempted to mail the guy a narrow, fine cut, pillar file - at least he'd have to work a lot harder to cause that much damage next time :P

Loren
Probably a good idea. :wink:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

I think he should knock the price down by half!!! And sell it to me. The thing is that you need to protect that area by refinishing it, or moisture can get into the wood over time—right? Otherwise a beautiful mandolin.
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Unfortunately he's firm on the price. Between getting the damage repaired, and the cost of a set-up and switching the mando back over to rightie (it's set-up southpaw now), plus whatever fret wear there is........ There are probably better deals out there. Too bad though, it appears to be a nice instrument otherwise, and even has a radiused fretboard.

Loren
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

tisk, tisk, too bad for him. I have a friend that kept his eye on a Weber that sat for a year before he got them to come down on their price. It was a lefty . . .
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Loren wrote:Oddly enough, I didn't get the feeling the guy was too broken up about it: ....
Loren
No, I doubt that he would be. Otherwise he wouldn't have gone as far as he did. The problem isn't one of not being handy, it is one of having no respect for the object.

When I worked in book conservation, if I had caused damage of that sort I would have shot myself. You had to figure out everything ahead of time, practice the techniques, try them out in insignificant teeny places on the book, be on guard constantly for a problem, etc. I was fairly handy and it was really interesting, but I couldn't work fast enough because I was so worried about causing irreversible damage to the object.

I can't imagine taking my hand to an instrument like that. It seems a shame that merely having money enables a person like that to own a nice instrument. There should be an ownership qualification test! :lol: Not for musical ability, but for proper attitude toward the instrument.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Don't think I'm not saving his email :D

I'd love to get an Absaroka - I like the x braced sound (played one when I was in Boulder a few years ago) and the more traditional vibe looks wise. This one even has a radiused fingerboard, which I much prefer. However even if I sold my Breedlove to buy this Absaroka, I'd be way in the hole after attending to the items mentioned. Doesn't matter though, I'm happy enough with what I've got at the moment :)

Loren
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

:o :o :o

That goes far beyond "some finish wear on the neck"!
missy

Post by missy »

note to self -

*have harpmaker's sister take his dremel tool away before he finishes my next dulcimer*
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Cynth wrote: When I worked in book conservation, if I had caused damage of that sort I would have shot myself. You had to figure out everything ahead of time, practice the techniques, try them out in insignificant teeny places on the book, be on guard constantly for a problem, etc. I was fairly handy and it was really interesting, but I couldn't work fast enough because I was so worried about causing irreversible damage to the object.
Ah yes, someone who can truely relate!

Loren
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Here's another...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-APX4A-elec ... dZViewItem

Just love the bit about spray paint. :lol:

?