Mini-MO Mid-Missouri

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
alespa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Mini-MO Mid-Missouri

Post by alespa »

Any thoughts on this one? I played alongside the regular size M-4 a two other M-series MM's. I was surprised that the sound was pretty close, even volume, and what really caught my attention was the price was half of the M-4 . . . I didn't play it long enough to make a decision, but I'm curious if anyone else has a Mini-Mo?

Another question is how does the Mini-Mo stack up against other mandolins under $300? The only ones I know of are Johnson, Indiana Bean, Fender, Washburn . . . but I really like the idea of something made in the USA by hand.

Matt
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Never played a Mini-Mo, but the best $300ish mando I found was the Kentucky line. They have a real solid top, none of that ply-wood. They are made in China, I doubt you will get a US made full size Mando in that price range.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

A couple of years ago I played the MM-8 against the regular offerings, and thought it was a very good mandolin for the money. It differs in that it has the bolt on neck, and it's a little shallower than the others, but for sound, it's right up there too. I think the walnut back and sides helps give it some help in the tone department-the full sized walnut/spruce Mid Missouri was my favorite overall for tone, just not for price. Just be sure you get the full size fretboard, and not the kids version.

But that Mini Mo sure is a good deal overall, and nicer than a lot of the cheap inports. It's not a bluegrass mando, but for Irish music or Old Time, I think you would be happy.

Oops, now I'm starting to get a mandolin itch again! See what you've started? Digging up all those mando feelings that I thought were in check! Yeah, Mid-Mo! Hmmm....

Now, the tuners could use a new set of quality hardware, but only if retuning all the time makes you nuts...
~~~~
Barry
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Avery, yeah, I forgot about the Kentucky models. I know that imports are the only A-body carved top style for that price . . .

Barry, the only difference in the Mini-Mo and reg. size I tried out was the thickness of the body, but about an inch. The fingerboard, nut, all that was the same. I do know there is a "vs" size Mini-Mo that is violin size.

I assume you are right in the walnut helping the sound. It was not a big difference playing or sound, that is worth another $250 or so. Plus, since I have to sell my Abell to raise funds, I could have something left to give my wife a gift for putting up with my instrument disorders (whistle, now mandolin) :D

Still need to think about it though. I am surprised that the prices on the Mid-Missouri site are about $100-110 higher than at the local store. That's seems a bit high. Plus I assume there might be room to deal a little at the place I was at.

I'll keep checkin' back for other comments. I won't be doing anything for awhile . . . at least until I sell the Abell.

I'll be playing a mix of musical styles on the mandolin, and I know I won't have enough to buy a quality f-body (for the looks and projection), but I am open to ideas. If there is something, even used, that's worth considering over the Mid-Mo's in the $500 range, I'd like to hear it. I would rather have quality build, tone, and playability over looks.
livethe question
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by livethe question »

Hey Matt,

I've go the Mini Mo, the no frills M-O and a mandola from Mid Missouri. As far as I'm concerned they are all best buys in their price range. The M-O has a tad bit more depth in sound which you would expect with it's slightly larger body.

I'm playing my Bridger and the Mid Mo mandola almost exclusively now so either the Mini Mo or the M-O are for sale and I'll keep the other one.

What Abell are you trying to sale? I'm kind of partial to those.

take care

jim
alespa

Post by alespa »

It's a chromatic soprano d in blackwood.

I woke up this morning thinking I'm going to want a "reg" size body mando . . . but since I figure I have some time to think about it, I'll probably try out a few other mandolins to compare.

Thanks Jim.

I've gotten some good feedback here and on mandolincafe . . . and I've decided while I would be happy with the Mini-MO, that it's worth waiting a little longer to get a "full size" mandolin. Now to test a few others out . . .
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hey Jim,

Give me a shout if you ever want to part with that Mid-Mo Mandola :wink:

Matt,

This week there have been two top of the line Kentucky KM380's on ebay, both going for under $250. Elderly had a Mid-Mo briefly for $325. before it sold, and there is a Michael Kelly A-O available through a Cafe memeber for about $350 (although it's not in the classifieds)

Working a deal with Jim for his M-O might be best though, anything he might have will certainly be in top condition, and you'll get no surprises (unlike what just happened to me with the Breedlove.)

Loren
alespa

Post by alespa »

Well, until my Abell sells, I am not in a position to get something, but when I am, I'll probably post a wanted thread to see what all my choices are. Ideally, it's nice to play an instrument before buying, especially if it's a model I've never touched. I played an M-O yesterday and while it was good, I did find I enjoyed the M-4 better. There was another model, I don't remember which it was, I liked in between the M-O and M-4 . . . I think it was the M-3. I also like the binding around the top edge, though that's not a deal breaker for me, just a preference.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Agreed, by far the best to have a whack at them before buying, unfortunately I had to shoot blind. I still can't believe how scarce decent mando's are (at shops) in this town. :-?

Loren
alespa

Post by alespa »

what town is that? are you close enough to a town or city with a good guitar shop?
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'm in Boston, tons of good guitars around here - can't swing a cat without knocking over a bunch of high end Martins, Taylors, Gibby's etc.

The only mandos I've seen in this town though were a couple of Fenders and a Dean. :sniffle:

I also advertised on Craigslist for weeks, and the only interesting hit I got was for a used flatiron cadet, however it had top cracks and the guy didn't want to sell for a reasonable price, considering the condition.

Loren
rh

Post by rh »

Loren,

can you get to Lexington?

http://www.themusicemporium.com/prodlis ... s&offset=0

looks like a lot there (in different price ranges) to try out.
there is no end to the walking
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

No, I don't have car anymore, so unfortunately I can't get out there.

Loren
livethe question
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by livethe question »

Hey Loren,

Unlikely I'll be getting rid of the Mid Mo Mandola. I looked on ebay for about six months before find "a deal". I gave either $400 or $450, I don't remember which. It was supposed to be the lowest model mandola and is so marked but had upgrades that made it the same as the highest grade mandola they make. Someone remarked that a similar mandola had come their way that was an upgrade. I'll be in the process of upgrading the tuners and bridge now that my income tax refund came in. I've already picked up a black Allen tailpiece.

Unlikely I'll be selling this. Eventually I'll be getting a special order mandola probably a Coomb from Australia or a Pomeroy from Glenwood Springs, Colorada. I'll still keep the Mid Mo though....it's just too much fun and there's always camping, you know.

If I run across any "deals", I'll let you know.

Matt, good luck looking for your mandolin.

take care

jim d
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Jim, I totally understand, when you find an instrument you really like, you shouldn't part with it. :)

Loren