Sandra Wong folk fiddler

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Miwokhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sandra Wong folk fiddler

Post by Miwokhill »

I recently discovered this fiddler, Sandra Wong, while browsing on the 'Cd Baby' website. She's great! She plays alot of Irish music but also folk music from Scandanavia and other countries as well. The album I saw on cdbaby is called 'It's About Time' and what's cool about this site is they have 2 minute sound samples of most of what they carry. This album is mostly fiddle but Sandra also plays a Scandanavian instrument that is bowed and keyed called the Nyckelharpa... it uses sympathetic strings as well...she's also done an entire album playing just this instrument.

You can also hear a whole show of her and a few friends playing tunes at the radio station KGNU (Boulder Co. I think) On their site they have archived all the shows they've done in the last year or so including hers.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

How're ya making it, Mike? Thanks for the tip on Sandra Wong-she's great! Lots of nice tunes there, some familiar, some not. I really liked the last one-"The Cuckoo"! Others on there I will go back and listen to also again. It's nice to have a solo fiddle album once in a while too-lets you appreciate the subtleties you don't get in a group setting.

Here's another good album I found not long ago browsing on CDbaby-by Sadie Compton, who plays a Norweigan Hardanger fiddle on this one, with Cajun and Old Time influences (Joined by James Bryan, Bruce Molsky and Mike Compton)! Take a listen:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/sadiec

Check out Sadie's website-she's quite a gal, very interesting and entertaining read on her blog, and look for her tatoo picture!

http://www.fachalarecords.com/

Thanks again, take care!
~~~~
Barry
Miwokhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Miwokhill »

Hey Barry, doin fine thanks, how's it goin' yourself? Thanks too for the tip on the Sadie Compton cd, I'll check it out. If you'd like to listen to some more music by Sandra Wong there's a radio appearance on KGNU in Boulder, archvived on their site, where she plays tunes backed by guitar on some and African percussion on others.

I like pretty much all of the tunes she plays...Hearing her crank through Drowsy Maggie, the first cut on the album, really inspired me to play this tune with new found energy!