Playing a fiddle/mandolin lefty

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
TinwhistleJulian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Playing a fiddle/mandolin lefty

Post by TinwhistleJulian »

Hello Evryone

I want to play fiddle again (playde fiddle for 2 years until the beginning of last year) .
Theres just one complicated thing:I´m a lefty(lefthanded),even if i can play fiddle with the right hand ,its becoming more and more worse.
A visit at the doc followed the recognising that years of using the wrong hand
So,now I have to hold the bow with the left if I don´t want more complications ,an I denied to long that i´m a lefty.
So,how would you play the fiddle then?
I´m going to try it with these versions:
Bow in the left and just change of the fiddle hand(strings in normal order) and bow in the left and mirrored order of the strings.

And if you´d do the second version ,how to set the fiddle right for the strings?
Or would you search for a lefty fiddle?

Greetings,Julian
Julian O`Donovan

´´We all have the same heaven above us ,but not all the same horizon ´´ (Konrad Adenauer)

The long and winding road ,that leads..............
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

I'm just guessing, but I would probably say to reverse the strings. It takes more bow pressure to sound the lower strings, and this pressure is generated by having a more horizontal bow on these strings.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

Actually it's a bit more complicated than that. You can't just swap strings around. For one thing the bridge is cut and fitted for the other way. Plus, the bass bar, soundpost and fingerboard relief are all setup for rightie playing in a normal violin. Everything actually would have to be reversed. If you get into higher end instruments this would even extend to the graduation of the belly. I'd find a violin shop that could hook you up with a fiddle that's been finished in such a manner. I'd recommend a guy named Steve Perry. It would cost a bit, but he could take a fiddle and do all the graduation, bass bar etc. and set it up for a leftie. He's a great guy, very knowledgable, does inpeccable work and truly wants to match people with the right instrument. His website is: giannaviolins.com

He is also a great maker
Corin
banjoman

Post by banjoman »

and then there's the problem of the tuning peg for the E. that will be in the way
concertinaman