And yet another harpy question: arms

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

And yet another harpy question: arms

Post by Redwolf »

Hey, harpers,

I have a question about the position of the right arm as the hand moves up into the higher (treble) strings of the harp. Obviously the elbow moves back, but does the forearm remain more or less parallel to the floor (causing the shoulder to rotate up) or should the elbow drop to maintain a relaxed shoulder?

I'm using the Sylvia Wood book and video right now, until I can start working with a teacher, but it's hard for me to see her right arm as her hand moves up the strings.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Big Time
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Big Time »

Hey Redwolf,

I've just spent about half a minute sitting in the office playing the air harp to think about the answer!!!

As you should always be hitting around the middle of each string you're playing, your hand position will have to move vertically as welll as horizontally.

Also, the harp is rested on your right shoulder, so you don't really go moving your shoulder position. So, yes, the angle of you elbow changes while the shoulder position remains more or less the same.
Big Time
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Big Time wrote:Hey Redwolf,

I've just spent about half a minute sitting in the office playing the air harp to think about the answer!!!

As you should always be hitting around the middle of each string you're playing, your hand position will have to move vertically as welll as horizontally.

Also, the harp is rested on your right shoulder, so you don't really go moving your shoulder position. So, yes, the angle of you elbow changes while the shoulder position remains more or less the same.
Uh oh! Air harp! Hope your co-workers didn't give you too many funny looks! I've been playing a fair amount of air harp myself these days...but living in Santa Cruz as I do, most people probably just think I'm one of the local crazies!

Thanks...that was what I needed to know.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!