Book for fiddlers - The New Policeman: the novel

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
David Levine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Book for fiddlers - The New Policeman: the novel

Post by David Levine »

Kate Thompson’s brand-new novel, The New Policeman, is a nice bit of fun. As the title suggests, music figures prominently in the book. More specifically, music around the Kinvara area (where Kate lives). I don't know her (yet) but I'd like to. She plays fiddle in local sessions and repairs fiddles as well. I’m only a bit of the way into it but The New Policeman bids fair to be as much fun as her other books.
Each chapter ends with a tune printed out, from common tunes to unusual tunes to an occasionall tune that she has written. It seems appropriate that when you finish the chapter you play the tune. (I haven’t decided what to do when I’m reading in bed.)
Although her books are commonly classified as Young Adult, they have an edge, like the books of Roald Dahl or Philip Pullman. This would be a great present to give to a musician of any age.
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
emmline
antispam: No

Re: Book for fiddlers - The New Policeman: the novel

Post by emmline »

David Levine wrote:... they have an edge, like the books of Roald Dahl or Philip Pullman.
Two of my favorite authors. I'll have to have a look.
Baglady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Baglady »

I bribed my daughter to clean the family room for the book. She didn't know it was a plot to pull her deeper into the culture.
She is having a great time sitting with her fiddle and reading and playing.
I want to borrow it when she is finished.
Baglady
Put the music under thier feet and lift them to the dance.
Oh, and,
"If you want to play chords, use standard tuning. It is better." --Martin Carthy