I have the Octave/Cittern Bug

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Celtic983
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

I have the Octave/Cittern Bug

Post by Celtic983 »

I am considering buying a cittern or an octave mandolin. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either Bill Peterson and his Leval 1 octave mandolins, Doug Dieter or any other maker who's price range is right at, or right under $1000. Thanks for any info in advance!
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
SteveK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SteveK »

I had a Peterson cittern. It was a pretty good instrument but it sure didn't sound like a bouzouki. I didn't really feel it was as good as a bouzouki for accompaniment work and I never really learned to play tunes on it. That was where it sounded best. It had a big sound box and I think it was too large for the sound that I wanted. I don't have any experience with Doug Dieter's instruments but I have always heard good things about them.

Are you a member of the cittern list? It's a Yahoo group. I've lost a bunch of bookmarks and can't direct you to it.

Steve
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

Thanks Steve, I am not a member of the cittern list. Right now, I only play a LITTLE mandolin. I really would prefer a cittern as, correct me if I am wrong, they are a bit easier than a bouzouki to pick melody (stretch wise), but have a fuller sound for accompliament than an Octave
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

If you get a 10-string cittern with a scale length of 22-23" you can tune it GDAEA (or maybe GDADA). At any rate the A on the top course makes it much easier to get the high notes of a tune. Also it's easier to make certain stretches on an instrument with that scale. An important one is the G-B interval on the fourth and third strings. Tunes canbe played on a full scale bouzouki (25-26"). Brian Taheny of Toronto plays his bouzouki very, very well. It's difficult though. Even an octave mandolin (back to 22-23") is easier to play than a long bouzouki. Some short scale instruments sound very nice and do well for accompaniment. Sobells, for instance. They're expensive, though.

Steve
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

Yeah, thats what I thought. I have a trinity zouk, but the action is horrible (and no set up will fix it...it is built wrong) Man, I am biting at the reins to get one now!!!! MUST HAVE A CITTERN

Benjamin Franklin
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I have been wantig one myself for back up. I know the chords because I used to play regular Mando and now play Tenor Banjo, but never at a session because I haven't learned a bunch of tunes so I usually stick to Flute. Which is why I want a back up instrument, for the tunes that i don't know on Flute. Don Kawalek maeks a build it yourself Octave Mandolin, but will build one and sell it for $700, I am planning on buying a kit to build once I get some money from Flute and Whsitle sales. His kits and instruments have gotten good feeback on the CBOM forum on Mandolin Cafe.
IrishPiper42

Post by IrishPiper42 »

I have a Petersen Level 3 bouzouki and I love it. I think it's the best deal going in ' zouks.
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

I don't know, I am really really really being pulled by davy stuart's OX model cittern. I MUST HAVE ONE!!!!!!! I am becoming obssesed

Benjamin Franklin
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

A friend of mine has a Petersen Level two for sale on the Mandolin Cafe Classifieds, but that might not last long.