New Mandolin

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Domhnall

New Mandolin

Post by Domhnall »

I just bought a mandolin off ebay, one of the cheapest ones I could find (couldn't afford anything else). I've wanted to take up mandolin for a while the straw that broke the camel's back and somewhat forced my hand in buying one is my trip to England in may, during which time I won't be able to take my trusted guitar with me, (too big for carry-on luggage, and I'm not trusting it to the baggage handlers.) So during my travels I'll be attempting to learn mandolin. Problem is, I don't really know of many good mandolin players to listen too. Any suggestions as to who will inspire me?
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

What type of music do you like?

Loren
SteveK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SteveK »

You could try some of the MP3s at the Mandolin Cafe. Some of the people are professional players. Paul Kelly, John McGann and Simon Mayor are three that I beleive have mandolin CDs. (I'm not sure about McGann). These are Irish or general Celtic players.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/mp3/
Domhnall

Post by Domhnall »

Celtic and Bluegrass mandolin, I'm big into Jazz and Blues as well.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

What kind of mandolin is it?
Domhnall

Post by Domhnall »

An Johnson A-modal, I'm dieing of anticipation waiting for it to arrive. I hope it arrives in time for my jazz studies exam so I can take a solo on it.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

There is some excellent jazz mandolin mandolin material at the mandolin cafe.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I had a Johnson once. For the price it is pretty good, it will need a good setup and the action will probably be really high. If you know the mechanics of the instrument and have the tools you could make it pretty nice.
dapolishunicyclist

Post by dapolishunicyclist »

Sam Bush, David Grisman and Dan Tyminski are all awesome and you should have no trouble getting there CD's from the library.

David Grisman played alot of solo stuff. Dan Tyminski plays with union station. Sam Bush (the best of the three IMHO) plays with loads of bluegrass artists including New Grass Revival. He also has done some fabulous work with Bela Fleck.

P.S. this list is not supposed to represent a list of the best Mandolinists of all time, just ones who are popular enough at this point in time to have CD's in almost any public libraries.
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Declan Corey is one of my favorite players -- formerly (still?) of Lia Luachra, also the Josephine Marsh Band. He and John McGann have both developed styles of playing Irish music that are "mandolinistic," rather than adapting tenor banjo technique to the instrument.
benbrad

Mandolin

Post by benbrad »

Give the the group Nickel Creek a listen to. The mandolin player is a real young guy and simply awsome. I have seen him play the most unbelievable stuff and all whith his eyes closed.
Ben
Domhnall

Post by Domhnall »

Wonderful, thank you all. Mandolin cafe is a excellent website, and I found another good one. http://www.jazzmando.com for jazz mondolin. I'm looking foreward to playing a bit of mandolin in my Jazz band, for solos, as bass tends to get boring and repetative over the solo section (which can drag on for ever in my group).
dapolishunicyclist

Re: Mandolin

Post by dapolishunicyclist »

benbrad wrote:Give the the group Nickel Creek a listen to. The mandolin player is a real young guy and simply awsome. I have seen him play the most unbelievable stuff and all whith his eyes closed.
That is Chris Thile. He's very good but the rest of the band IMHO is kinda , Oh I don't know how to put this, ... ... awful.

But I do agree that he's a great mandolin player, so I'd suggest one of his solo albums, especially "Not All Who Wander Are Lost."

Or better yet check out Bela Fleck's "Little Worlds." (My all-time favorite jazz album) Chris Thile plays on a couple of tracks and the Uillean Pipes solos by Paddy Maloney on a couple of other tracks are just fabulous.

P.S. there is no reason to listen to the Rap version of the ballad of Jed Clampett present on disc 1. That's a definetley a low spot.
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

I prefer the styles of Luke Plumb, the new mandolin player with Shooglenifty a very Jazzy Scottish Acid Traditional band. That is the best way to describe them.