More Excitment, New Tenor Banjo

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

More Excitment, New Tenor Banjo

Post by Unseen122 »

So I did some thing drastic and traded my Kentucky Mandolin (my only Mando) for a Tenor Banjo as I had played a couple and liked it a lot more than Mando. I got it today. It is a Weymann 140 style Long Scale Tenor, I use Mando fingering anyway which is kind of painful but I will get used to it. Not in a great condition but it sounds really good. I would put thicker gauge strings on it but I don't understand the tailpiece as it looks kind of like one on a Mando but the top part does not come off and I can't deal with that any tips would be greatly appreciated. I am having so much fun playing it.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Good for you! I sold my mandolin and picked up a vintage no name banjo (probably slingerland) and have been very happy ever since. Mine's not pretty either, but it's a solid instrument with a great sound.

D'Addario makes Irish Banjo strings that are found at some local music stores in my area. I bought a set, broke a string (I find turning on the electric tuner is helpful...otherwise you can tighten a string until it breaks and it never, even registers :oops: ), and went to another local store and bought individual strings to create a second set and replace the broken string.

I'm using .012, .016, .024W & .036W strings.

Some banjos have a tailpiece that moves/adjust, but some have one where the strings go beneath the tailpiece, over the edge of the banjo and either loop onto the tailpiece or have those ball like thinks for the loop of the string to fit over and then the string fits into slots. Be warned the bridge just comes right off...

Here is a great site with lots of information on Irish banjo:

http://www.irish-banjo.com/

Eric
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

They loop onto the tailpiece under a thingie which I don't know the name for but it is the top of the tailpiece which usually comes off on a Mandolin but I don't think it does on a Banjo. I will take a little when I am feeling a little better (I hate colds :sniffle: ). I did email the person whom I bought it from but that was just a couple minutes ago.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

The top of my tailpiece stays attached, too. So, I slide the strings under it. When the strings are tightened, they don't touch the top piece at all.

I hope you feel better. I'm hanging out with a 7 year old with a bad case of the stomach flu...yuck.

Eric
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

I will just have to go around it then. Turns out I have a Sinus Infection so that means no Flute or Whistle for a couple days but Banjo seems to be alright to play.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

I came down with some respiratory crud a few days after buying my banjo, so I, too, know the value of having a non-wind instrument at times!

Eric
NancyF
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by NancyF »

Banjos aren't too hard to work on yourself. Look up a book on the subject of banjo repair by Roger Siminof in california. He's on the net.

Nancy
Wizzer

Banjo lessons

Post by Wizzer »

For those interested and in the NYC area banjo classes beging Jan 26th
4 two hour classes on alternating Thursdays
Irish Banjo (b)

Pip Ryan, Thursday, 7:00 – 9:00 pm
(meets alternate Thursdays beginning Jan 26)

For beginning and experienced players alike, students will be introduced to all aspects of Irish tenor banjo techniques along with various regional styles. Tunes will be taught at a comfortable learning pace in a relaxed atmosphere. Students are advised to bring recording devices to all lessons to help facilitate practice outside the classroom.

http://www.irishartscenter.org/Classes/ ... script.htm to register
Wizzer

Banjo lessons

Post by Wizzer »

Wizzer wrote:For those interested and in the NYC area banjo classes beging Jan 26th
Irish Banjo (b)

For beginning and experienced players alike, students will be introduced to all aspects of Irish tenor banjo techniques along with various regional styles. Tunes will be taught at a comfortable learning pace in a relaxed atmosphere. Students are advised to bring recording devices to all lessons to help facilitate practice outside the classroom.

http://www.irishartscenter.org/Classes/ ... script.htm to register
bump
Wizzer

Re: Banjo lessons

Post by Wizzer »

For those interested and in the NYC area banjo classes beging Jan 26th
Irish Banjo (b)

http://www.irishartscenter.org/Classes/ ... script.htm to register[/quote]

Bump