A place for ukulele in Irish traditional music?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
SteveK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SteveK »

Cynth and everybody. Here's a link to some fine uke playing. Try out Temptation Rag. Well...try them all. I think you'll like them. Nothing to do with IRtrad though. These tunes gave me a different outlook on the uke.
When you get the main page, click music.

http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/439/

Sorry about the missing link. My mind is elswhere.
Last edited by SteveK on Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

SteveK, I've looked and looked and I think there isn't a link here. It sounds very interesting. I like all sorts of music!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Hey-- I wonder if you couldn't tune the 4 strings to GDAE. Then, you COULD play melody easily using mandolin fingerings.

Mike, if you're intested in trying a Uke, stop into Cathedral Music in Troy. A while Klem had 3 ukes, two of which looked pretty nice. They were used and he was selling the 3 for (I think) something like $70. I seriously considered buying them and selling two on eBay to raise enough so I could keep the third for free. I can stop in there if you're interested and if you do come up to look at them, maybe we could do lunch.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

brewerpaul wrote:Hey-- I wonder if you couldn't tune the 4 strings to GDAE. Then, you COULD play melody easily using mandolin fingerings.

Mike, if you're intested in trying a Uke, stop into Cathedral Music in Troy. A while Klem had 3 ukes, two of which looked pretty nice. They were used and he was selling the 3 for (I think) something like $70. I seriously considered buying them and selling two on eBay to raise enough so I could keep the third for free. I can stop in there if you're interested and if you do come up to look at them, maybe we could do lunch.
I used to tune my baritone ukulele to GDAE, but I sold it when I had a yard sale.
Reasonable person
Walden
LimuHead
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

I've used uke to accompany Irish tunes before.

Click on the link in my signature (below) and have a listen to "Duffy the Dancer".

I like the way it sounds, but I wouldn't call it ITM. :wink:
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

I used to play tenor uke sometimes in jams, but around here they are kindof mixed acoustic jams because we don't have enough itrad players for a session. So the bluegrassers have to put up with whistles and bodhrans, the folkies have to put up with tunes, and the bluegrassers with hornpipes, and the pickers with singing. So you get to play whatever you show up with - very egalitarian.

When I go to jams or sessions outside my home ones, I try to assess the situation and determine which of my intruments fits best with the group. For example at real bluegrass jams I only play whistle if specifically invited to, then I call things they know like Red Haired Boy. I think I agree with Susan that at an itrad session, I would wait to be invited to play the uke or if i was really good, maybe ask if it was ok.

I am fond of the uke because of what it led to:

I tuned the tenor uke to GCEA with a string set that allowed the G to be an octave lower (not my dog has fleas). I learned from playing it that I liked playing stringed instruments and singing with them. Because of my physical troubles, a six string is out of the question for now, but it prompted me to seek out at tenor guitar (4 steel strings).

So now I'm playing guitar (tho 4 strings) and taking lessons and having a blast. I feel more like the folk player I imagine being and feel more comfortable at most types of jams around there. But I sure enough pull out the whistles or the bodhran when I can. But my poor ukie is neglected except when I play it with my neices (they strum, I chord so far).

Peace, Nancy
slowair

Post by slowair »

LimuHead wrote:I've used uke to accompany Irish tunes before.

Click on the link in my signature (below) and have a listen to "Duffy the Dancer".

I like the way it sounds, but I wouldn't call it ITM. :wink:
In the words of my life mentor...THAT'S IT!!!

I like it! I like it a lot. I can't wait to get the uke in the mail.
I decided in a Samick baritone from Music 123. Got a great deal too.

I've ordered Aquila strings in both C and G tuning.

This is gonna be fun!

Thanks Lumihead. You've made my day. Really nice recording!

Mike
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

I like what you did with Duffy, very uplifting and happy. Thanks for sharing that. :D

Here's a bunch of British uke heads...

http://www.ukuleleorchestra.com/main/home.aspx

?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I don't think the ukulele needs to be so typecast. It's a member of the guitar family and can be used in many of the same situations as the 6-string guitar. Due to its nonmetal strings, it has a very mellow tone.

Use discretion as on any instrument. If unaccompanied melody is required, don't sit there strumming chords. Most important of all, though, don't take an ukulele to a session with my friends Susnfx and Murphy Stout. :)
Reasonable person
Walden
slowair

Post by slowair »

Walden wrote:
Most important of all, though, don't take an ukulele to a session with my friends Susnfx and Murphy Stout. :)
That I understand! :)

Mike
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Don't tell anyone it's a uke. Tell them it's a leprechaun guitar. If they balk, ask them to tell you what the difference is, if they're so smart.
It's not like a leprechaun could play a full size guitar. Or even a 1/2 size.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

I think it all depends of how it is played. Someone with experience of playing trad ITM could probably make it fit right in.

I remember watching a session a few years ago when a very talented banjo player got out a 1/2 guitar with four strings (both E-strings gone) for a few sets and made it sound fantastic. Don’t think it was tuned GDAE, more likely some open tuning that worked well on four strings.

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Walden wrote:
Use discretion as on any instrument. If unaccompanied melody is required, don't sit there strumming chords. Most important of all, though, don't take an ukulele to a session with my friends Susnfx and Murphy Stout. :)
Well stated Walden!
Perhaps to avoid the kind of disagreement to which Susnfx was referring it would be wise to insert a term such as "pure drop" or something in order to describe the kind of musical style which would not welcome smudged borders.

Generally, I would be disappointed if there were no envelope-pushing in music, but I'm also a fan of historical preservation, and I wish anyone who gets in a huff over these definitions could just say "this is this and that is that."
Les Cruttenden

Music snobs....'Traditional'

Post by Les Cruttenden »

Yes the are plenty of music snobs out there...the idea that many have that the instruments they subscribe to are traditional is often a load of cobblers....they may have become'traditional' in that they have been played for a longish time....but the authors of true IT were the poorest working classes...who couldnt afford some of the fancy gear about today...and many 'traditional ' instruments were not even invented when IT was played in these early communities......button accordions verse piano accordions...the debate simply never existed.....so think before you put down boundaries that simply never existed within true Irish communities....Get a grip of that.....Come up with what you consider true IT traditional instruments and see how that compares with instrument used today by even 'trasditional' groups..Les.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Have a listen to Gerry O'Beirne playing ukelele with Randal Bays. The tune is Randal's own composition, The Golden Gardens; from his album "The Salmon's Leap."

Played like that, the uke can certainly fit in with Irish music.