bouzouki

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
flooter1979

bouzouki

Post by flooter1979 »

can someone recommend a bouzouki maker?
SteveK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SteveK »

There are many bouzouki makers out there and a lot of the makers are pretty good. Where do you live? How much do you want to pay? You could start by looking at the makers Han Speek has listed on his web site. He has links to the makers' web sites.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~hspeek/bouzouki/

You could also join the cittern Yahoo group. It's for citterns, bouzoukis and octave mandolins.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ci ... d=89982506
Fergmaun
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

I play the Ozark 2222 Flatback Bouzouki you can get it from http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/mandolinfamily/index.asp

Read http://www.thesession.org/discussions/d ... 8/comments as this will also answer your question.

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Fergmaun wrote:I play the Ozark 2222 Flatback Bouzouki...
Seeing that picture makes me wonder. Do people manage to play fast reels and such on the bouzouki, or do they tend to play more accompaniment on them? I think I'd be tempted to try some kind of tuning in 4ths.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

My GF has a Fylde long-scale zouk that's not so much a musical instrument as a force of nature. Joe Foley (Dublin) and Stephen Owsley Smith (New Mexico) are also top-notch makers.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Darwin wrote:
Fergmaun wrote:I play the Ozark 2222 Flatback Bouzouki...
Seeing that picture makes me wonder. Do people manage to play fast reels and such on the bouzouki, or do they tend to play more accompaniment on them? I think I'd be tempted to try some kind of tuning in 4ths.
Yes, people can and do play melody on them. I know of one fellow who's quite impressive at it. He tunes his like a tenor banjo, which is what he started out on. It also happens to be a Foley, and I approve. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
rh

Post by rh »

some links and eye candy from Mandolin Cafe:
http://mandolincafe.com/archives/builders/octave.html
there is no end to the walking
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Some lovely instruments, there. You'll notice that the Foley pictured has a short-scale neck, closer to a cittern's usual span. As I recall, he makes his 'zouks either long- or short-scale according to his client's wishes. Most 'zouks I've seen are long-scale, recalling their origins in the Greek instrument. For what it's worth, I understand there are makers who make long-scale citterns, as well. I haven't seen one up-close and personal.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

Melody can be played on the bouzouki. However, Longscale are much harder. If you have large hands it may not be a problem. If you have small-medium hands a short scale, or octave mandolin may be better.
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Brian Taheny (in Toronto) plays tunes on a full length four-course bouzouki. Other players who have CDs either use five-course instruments or a shorter scale-about 22". If you are going for the absolute cheapest instrument, I'd recommend Troubadour instruments from David Kilpatrick. The instruments are made in Romania to his specifications.

http://www.troubadour.uk.com/mandozouki.html
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

I have seen that brand, (troubador) but have never played them. Are they decent? How do they compare to trinity and the likes?
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

I once used GDAE tuning with Redwing Bouzouki Medium Gauge Octave Strung Set Strings
Gauges:
E .012/.012
A .016/.016
D .013/.026
G .036/.036

But now use GDAD tuning with D'Addario J81 - Medium Bouzouki Strings
D 0.011/0.011
A 0.016/0.016
D 0.028/0.028
G 0.04/0.04

I only play chords on the Bouzouki.

Cheers

Ferg
Last edited by Fergmaun on Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

If I were to really get serious about the bouzouki as a melody instrument, I'd want a short-scale 10-string one tuned GDAda. Actually a 10-string mandola would be more like it. Probably a mandolin would be best of all. Hey, I've got one of those! Cool.

I play mainly accompaniment on the zouk. I've kind of developed my own style, involving countermelodies, shifting bass lines, implied chords, rumor, hearsay, and innuendo. It's based on what I used to think Alec Finn did.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Alec Finn played a 3 (double) stringed bouzouki, if I remember right. I keep mine tuned to ADAD. Some prefer ADAE. The neck length on mine is the same as a standard guitar. Jigs and hornpipes are easy to play melody on, but I often keep mine capo'd up 2-3 frets, sometimes 4 or 5. Certain reels fit real well on this tuning, for playing melodies.

I couldn't find one back in the early 80's so I made one (center). I styled it after the Gibson mandos except it has X-bracing and round sound hole..
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Celtic983 wrote:Melody can be played on the bouzouki. However, Longscale are much harder. If you have large hands it may not be a problem. If you have small-medium hands a short scale, or octave mandolin may be better.
May be better? ;)

I have small hands and just the merest hint of arthritis... 'zouk is out of the question. Even a standard scale tenor banjo gives me probs. Shame, I love the sound of bazouki. :(
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.