Best Mando...

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Best Mando...

Post by Tyler »

I myself have a Rose that I just love....

but I've played on Gibsons and Trinity College mandos too...I like them a lot as well...

In your opinion, what is the best mando sold comercially?
Why do you like it?

The best mando I have ever played was one built by a local feller here in utah who usually specializes in violins, but made a mando for the father of a buddy of mine. It had one of the richest tones I have ever heard. I spoke with the luthier that built it, and he says his secret is in his home made finish that he uses on his voilins... (he flatly refused to share his recepie with me...)
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Best Mando...

Post by Congratulations »

Tyler Morris wrote:I spoke with the luthier that built it, and he says his secret is in his home made finish that he uses on his voilins... (he flatly refused to share his recepie with me...)
The secret ingredient in the finish is...

MARSHMALLOWS!
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
JS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JS »

Tyler, I think I'm replying more to your comment than to your original question, but the best recently made mandos I know of (though I don't think more than a couple a year are made) are built by Mike Otis, a local musician. They are beautifully finished, and the sound is clear and full, and they play easily--I was just in a session this noon with a couple of players who use them. I don't own one (I'm loyal to my grandmother's old mando), but that's what I'd go for, given means, motive , and opportunity. Which makes me wonder if the best buy on a mando (as seems to be the case with flutes) might be a purchase from a small builder who will let you try out the instrument and make requests for set up etc., but who isn't yet well-known enough to command the highest price.

Lots of discussion on the various commercially produced mandos in various price ranges over at the mandolincafe site.

JS