Learning mandolin.... Help!

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

SIgn up for the mandolin cafe forum. WHen you're there, search out any answer's niles Hokkainnen (sp?) - he actually has another login but his full name's in his sig. Read whatever gems of technique he has to offer.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Loren wrote:Scott, thanks for the book recommendations (aimed at me or not.)

Loren
fer shurr! :D
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

alespa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

I picked up the Mandolin Primer by Bert Casey, with CD. Seems pretty good so far. The mandolin cafe site has some two finger chords that are nice to know, and I got a "set" of Clayton mando picks from .54mm to 1.20mm so I can find the best one for me and work up in thickness as I can. Playing with some guitar players is a great way to practice—at least when they are gracious and merciful good friends—I have found that instrumental in encouraging me, even though my wife keeps telling them "don't encourage him, or he'll want to buy a mandolin!" [I'm borrowing one now] :)

Oh, and I would strongly suggest that you try to learn proper picking techniques (D-U-D and so on) . . . the mandolin cafe has some great tutorials, as mentioned already, that show you a jig and bluegrass pattern.

Matt
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
Miwokhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Miwokhill »

A book/cd set I really like is Mel Bay's Deluxe Bluegrass Mandolin Method by Ray Valla. It's not a recent book, written in 1974, but it really gets you right in there and playing. It's not really single string stuff but more rhythm and melody combined. Anyway, I recommend it.
alespa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Getting the right pick is important to . . . makes a big difference. The best one I have found so far is the Dawg, made by David Grisman. It's a three point, but very rounded edges. If you don't have locally, you can get at Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments . . .

http://www.gregboyd.com/ShoppingCart/Vi ... oryID=2140

I was using Clayton tristars which I thought were pretty good, but the rounder edges of the Dawg make it smoother and easier to play tremolo and get some good chopping and pickin' . . .
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.