Best beginner tenor banjo

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
meemtp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by meemtp »

All of the good tenor banjo players I know prefer 17 fret models. ornamentation and Irish tunes are definitely easier with the shorter scale. The "pop" issue is solved by switching to heavier strings. The standard tenor string set is more suited to chord playing ala Dixieland etc. A few string companies sell sets made for Irish playing that way you don't have to cobble together a set.

There are some really nice old tenor banjos that can be had for surprisingly cheap. You just have to look. You may have to replace the head, but that's not very expensive and the newer synthetic heads seem to work better for ITM anyway. Good luck!
Corin
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I was lucky in that this one has been fixed up at some point. The original nut was replaced with a mandolin nut (that really confused me when I was restringing it, but it works well), the head is newer, and the tuners don't look original either (even if they are friction, they're in great shape). Also, the action is perfect in my opinion - but the store is famous for not buying instruments in bad shape.

I had a set of Irish tenor strings, but broke one. Not wanting to make the 45 minute drive back to the store I bought it at, I found my local music store has individual stings in the same weights/size as the tenor set so cobbling together a set is handy (my second set is cobbled together).

I butchered the Kesh earlier tonight...it was fun :P .

Eric
livethe question
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by livethe question »

Hey Eric,

Glad you found something that fits for your tenor banjo journey. I played 5 string for too long I guess to make the switch. I got a new mandolin soon after I came up with the tenor and just never put the time in that it deserved.

Keep us informed of how you and your new friend are getting along.

PS - got a new Hammy flute recently and its keeping me busy.

take care

jim
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I had a mandolin but just never kept at it (but I did take lessons for 6-8 months). I couldn't stand having to keep the pairs of strings in perfect tune...it drove me nuts if one was off a bit. So, the transition to tenor banjo has been fairly easy - one string for each pitch and I like the lower sound.

Eric