Kiwizouki

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
talasiga
antispam: No

Kiwizouki

Post by talasiga »

I am very much interested in New Zealand luthier's website
of all the website's I have researched in Australasia.
I don't know why I am attracted to his Irish bouzouki and cittern the most. I may need to cross the Tasman Sea. I have never been to NZ.

Any advice from chordophonic types would be appreciated. I have only played appalachian zither.

What do think of Burgin's lutes?
What is their mystery?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
SteveK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SteveK »

I have never heard of that luthier but the instruments look attractive and he certainly produces a full range of procucts. The one thing that was missing was a guitar body bouzouki. There were guitar body mandolins though. I didn't see any lutes or were you referring to the bouzoukis as lutes.

Have you looked at Jack Spira's instruments. A friend of mine has had two or three of them and they are extraordinary. They are very beautiful and sound great. He's in Australia.

http://www.jackspiraguitars.com/index.html
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Kiwizouki

Post by Darwin »

talasiga wrote:I am very much interested in New Zealand luthier's website
Converted to US currency, the prices look very reasonable--if they sound as good as they look. I don't see any links to sound clips of citterns, bouzoukis, or mandolins, though. Have I missed something? Guess we'll have to rely on you to find out. Let us know how the trip to Kiwiland goes.
(Be sure to take a digital recorder, so that you can post your own sound clips. :thumbsup: )

Note the Pin Bridge bouzouki. That's something I've never seen before.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

SteveK wrote:I have never heard of that luthier but the instruments look attractive and he certainly produces a full range of procucts. The one thing that was missing was a guitar body bouzouki. There were guitar body mandolins though. I didn't see any lutes or were you referring to the bouzoukis as lutes.

Have you looked at Jack Spira's instruments. A friend of mine has had two or three of them and they are extraordinary. They are very beautiful and sound great. He's in Australia.

Steve, I meant "lutes" generically. guitars, sitars, sarods, citterns, mandolins, levantine uds and the derivative lute, tambouras (turkish, persian and indian), saz, greek and irish bouzoukis etc etc come under the lute family
cf
appalachian dulcimers, cantele, rudra vina etc which come under zither family.

Yes I checked out Spira's sight but the Burgin one attracted me more.
Thanks for your input.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I've never personally had any contact with that luthier, but if it's something you're interested in, go for it...prices look good.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Never heard of that guy.

The makers in this part of the world with the best reputations are Davey Stuart in New Zealand (Wellington?) and Graham McDonald in Canberra. Graham made me a beautiful bouzouki. He will discuss 'zouk and cittern designs with you and build you exactly what you want unless he thinks it won't work.