Tenor Banjos To C or G?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.

Tenor Banjos To C or G?

Post by Guest »

Tried quite a few before leaving it be and converting my Vega 5 to Tenor +1 tuning.

I noticed that a C Banjo is easier to play but only with a retuned fiddle while the G is more popular and can join in with anything. The best brand I found is the Framus with the iron strings... lol.

Of all the banjos I have tried the Vega has the best tone but isn't loud by todays standards.

I already knew how to 'pick' so from day one I could pot-wallop tunes as they came into my mind, sorta like I do on TW but cannot repeat on U Pipes - which I tend not to like anyways - or Flute - not enough wind for the tootler too old I guess! .

Shtill even if a person is over the hill or nearly there and they want to play Tenor Banjo getting a good tutor and a metronome is money well spent and following that keep to a daily exercise of both 'up picking' and seperate down picking' (5 minutes), will in the end make a fine player of the instrument.

One good exercise is crawing up or down the neck from the top ( heel of neck ) to the bottom( nut ) 4 frets at a time and crossing in and out over the strings as you move. A sort of zig zag if you like, from E to G and back again - then move down one fret and repeat.

I found it most productive to do one batch up-picking( 16 notes ) starting from the E string and going inwards then moving down one fret comming out with down-picking.

:0)
Last edited by Guest on Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Well as a Mando player I would play G but I can't afford another instrument right now...