Mando Roll Call

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I had several Samicks until I was employable age and could afford better instruments...that's how I know they're garbage. As I've said in a previous post, they've gotten better over the years, but compared to other brands in their price range, they're still bottom-of-the-barrel quality.
I still have my ancient Samick imitation Strat (gave it to my youngest sister when she got into high school...she thinks it's great, but then again, she's never played anything better) and it can't hold a candle to even my silly Epiphone SG that I payed $150 bucks for when I was way back in high school.
Samicks are great for eight-year-olds/beginners...the reason he hasn't damaged his is because it's made out of a plywood laminate that's mostly glue; if you know anything about woodworking or luthiery, you know wood glue is super solid ...solid construction doesn't mean quality instrument.
Like I said, Samick is great for learners/kids, not neccisarily for seasoned musicians. There are better instruments out there for the money, and in many cases there are better instruments out there for less than a Samick.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
talimirr743
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by talimirr743 »

I have a mondo, but I can't play it very well. I'm thinking of selling it.
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Yep. I play mando. I've got an Old Wave by Bill Bussman. If anybody's in the market for a really good mando, he's the one to go to. Mine's about nine years old, I guess. C# model. They've gone up a little in the intervening years, hehe. Here's his website if you're interested.

http://www.oldwavemandolins.com/
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I've got an Alverez. I just fixed the bridge and now it sounds great.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
JamieKerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JamieKerr »

Hi there,

Last year I picked up an inexpensive A-style mando made by Alabama. I've been sporadically learning to play some bluegrass, as well as a few Irish / Scottish trad tunes. My main instrument (these days) is uilleann pipes, but for sheer fun, I reach for the mando.

Jamie