Harpy Roll Call

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

Darwin wrote:
Big Time wrote:being blind couldnt have helped his playing
That's right. He probably couldn't have been much better than Doc Watson, Jose Feliciano, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Gary Davis... :P
Or the guy who wrote "Lord Mayo," or a bunch of other wire-strung harpers ;P

Apparently if you lived in Ireland and you wre blind, being the court bard was your meal ticket.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

yeah fair point,

we'll just never know how good he was. we only can go on his compositions which are incredible i think.

even after whatever hundred years his music stands the test of time.
Big Time
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Dont play harp, but my emoticon does!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Darwin wrote:
Big Time wrote:being blind couldnt have helped his playing
That's right. He probably couldn't have been much better than Doc Watson, Jose Feliciano, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Gary Davis... :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jose - the most under rated guitarist in the World - Feliciano.

Not to mention a voice to die for :wink:

Slan,
D. :lol: :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Big Time wrote:
even after whatever hundred years his music stands the test of time.
Agreed!
OOOXXO
skh

Post by skh »

silently raised hand and points at avatar

Wire.

cheers,

Sonja
Shut up and play.
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

I have been renting one for a few months, but I am still at the "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" stage. Oops, no not quite -- I can also play "Go Tell Aunt Rhodie." :lol:
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I've been longing to learn harp for years. I've been saving my pennies for a Sharpsicle, but I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't save for just a bit longer and think about this one:

http://www.dustystrings.com/building/ravenna.shtml

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Redwolf wrote:I've been longing to learn harp for years. I've been saving my pennies for a Sharpsicle, but I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't save for just a bit longer and think about this one:

http://www.dustystrings.com/building/ravenna.shtml

Redwolf
I've been asking around on the Harper's yahoo list. . .and according to many folks, that would *definitely* be in your best interest. I can kinda see getting a harpsicle - at $300 it's not much more than a high-end whistle. BUt the sharpsicle. . . just doesn;t seem to make too much sense from an economic standpoint. The ravenna gets as many strings as the sharpie, but it's apparently louder with a fuller tone.

After I get my McGee LeftistMonsterFlute, I might be pinching pennies for the largest Blevins that will fit into the back seat of my compact car.
OOOXXO
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I originally thought of just getting a Harpsicle, but people keep saying I have to have levers on (at least) the Cs and Fs. Is there much music that can be played on a harp with no levers without constantly retuning?

Redwolf
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Redwolf wrote:I originally thought of just getting a Harpsicle, but people keep saying I have to have levers on (at least) the Cs and Fs. Is there much music that can be played on a harp with no levers without constantly retuning?

Redwolf
I believe that there's a fair amount of medieval music that can be played in C or F minor.. but I could be mistaken.

I'd say for Irish music, what would make more sense than a full complement of levers would be merely

1) Permanently tune the F to F#
2) Add an extra per octave string for C#

THus one would get the same notes as yer standard $8 whistle, without the need to flip levers during a performance. Medieval harps often had an extra string, so it's not an entirely new idea (Although the 8th string is tuned to Bb, not C#).

The problem would be finding a maker who would be willing to design a harp around this concept.
OOOXXO
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Wormdiet wrote:
Redwolf wrote:I originally thought of just getting a Harpsicle, but people keep saying I have to have levers on (at least) the Cs and Fs. Is there much music that can be played on a harp with no levers without constantly retuning?

Redwolf
I believe that there's a fair amount of medieval music that can be played in C or F minor.. but I could be mistaken.

I'd say for Irish music, what would make more sense than a full complement of levers would be merely

THus one would get the same notes as yer standard $8 whistle, without the need to flip levers during a performance. Medieval harps often had an extra string, so it's not an entirely new idea (Although the 8th string is tuned to Bb, not C#).

The problem would be finding a maker who would be willing to design a harp around this concept.
Not an option for this girl, I'm afraid. I was thinking of the Harpsicle because it's reasonably affordable...but it won't do me much good if there's not much I can play on it. The Ravenna would be a huge financial stretch for me (especially if I buy it with C and F levers)...it will probably take a couple of years of saving (and praying no emergency happens in the meantime to deplete my harp fund...that's why I haven't had one before this). The Sharpsicle seems like a reasonable middle ground.

The likelihood of my ever performing is pretty slim. I just want to learn to play.

Redwolf
LimuHead
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

I have a harp from Mideast Manufacturing. If you're looking for something reasonably priced to toodle on, they're not a bad way to go. The sharping levers are pretty useless, though.

I don't play harp seriously, but I do enjoy plucking out tunes late at night when most other instruments would be too loud....
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

Redwolf wrote:
Wormdiet wrote:

Redwolf

Not an option for this girl, I'm afraid. I was thinking of the Harpsicle because it's reasonably affordable...but it won't do me much good if there's not much I can play on it. The Ravenna would be a huge financial stretch for me (especially if I buy it with C and F levers)...it will probably take a couple of years of saving (and praying no emergency happens in the meantime to deplete my harp fund...that's why I haven't had one before this). The Sharpsicle seems like a reasonable middle ground.

The likelihood of my ever performing is pretty slim. I just want to learn to play.

Redwolf
OK -- I am way past Twinkle Twinkle now, and have a good teacher. Here's what I"ve learned that might help:

I am lucky to be about a 1 hour drive from an excellent dealer (Kolacny Music in Denver). If you find a good harp dealer within a two or three or even four hour's drive, I would say to JUMP on the opportunity to visit them, learn about harps, and see what they have. The service and advice I have gotten from Kolacny has been invaluable. On top of that, they are completely laid back. When I go in, I'm welcome to test out any harp on the floor, for as long as I want, even though I am still pretty new to the harp world. If you want to know more about Kolacny in particular:
http://kolacnymusic.com/

You can tune to any key you want. So Wormdiet's advice to permanently tuning to G (with F#'s) is fine.

If you get a good harp (not a harpsicle), you can have levers added on any strings in the $12 - $15 per string range. So on a 26 string harp, like the Ravenna, you'd be paying max $60 extra for levers on just the C's. You can also have levers added as you go, if you want. What a great idea for birthdays and Christmas.

BTW, Most of the people I have met around here tune to one of two schemes:
1. Tune to F major, and then you would need the B, F and C levers for most ITM. (F major will also get you D aeolian -- minor -- which is good for some tunes).
2. Tune to Eb major, because they play more than just ITM, and get full levers. Then you can play in Eb, Bb, F, C, G, D, A, and E.

Here is my "also a newbie" advice: Find a harp store as nearby as you can. A good one will rent you a harp, and often you can use the first few month's rental towards purcasing that harp or another one. I am renting a 32 string Dusty Strings harp with full levers. It is about $3,000 new, but since it has been a rental, it would only cost $1800 to buy (including case). And I can use my first six month's rental towards the purchase. I know that sounds like a lot, but I chose a big harp.

The point I'm trying to make (not very elegantly, however!) is that a used harp will be significantly less than a new one, you can rent first, to see if you like it, and if you buy an instrument at a full service store, you will be assured that it is in good condition, and can be customized to your needs. You might be able to find a used harp that is as good as the Ravenna for the cost of the Sharpsicle. If not, the harp store people will probably be willing to keep an eye out for you.
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

My most recent girlfriend turned out to be a harpy. Of the Greco-Roman variety. :cry:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner