Sort of OT: Scott Dunbar

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sort of OT: Scott Dunbar

Post by Dale »

This is sort of OT. Strings. Traditional. But.....the blues.

I've been exploring some of the really authentic & gritty Mississippi Delta blues men. I was inspired by seeing the documentary You See Me Laughin', which is the story of several blues performers affilliated with Fat Possum Records. Anyway, been listening to R. L. Burnside, Junior Kimbrough, and others.

Today I got a copy of Scott Dunbar's "From Lake Mary." I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a CD this much. It was originally released in 1970 when Dunbar was in his late 60s. I gather it's his only full-length recording. It's just Mr. Dunbar and his guitar. Sings. Sings the words when he remembers them--sings other stuff when he doesn't. All kinds of interesting guitar tunings. Very rough and spontaneous recording, almost like a field recording.

One of the most joyous blues records I've ever heard. Maybe that's an oxymoron, I'm not sure.

Dunbar passed away in 1994.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

But wouldn't the blues be traditional music? Well, it just didn't strike me as off topic.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Well, you know, we usually are going for music of the British Isles, here, to use a relatively politically correct if vague and overly inclusive term.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

DaleWisely wrote:Well, you know, we usually are going for music of the British Isles, here, to use a relatively politically correct if vague and overly inclusive term.
Ya, but the Brits stole it so well!

Post by Guest »

Cynth wrote:But wouldn't the blues be traditional music? Well, it just didn't strike me as off topic.
I'd say blues is certainly traditional music, and a fine tradition too. I don't consider this OT at

Post by Guest »

Cynth wrote:But wouldn't the blues be traditional music? Well, it just didn't strike me as off topic.
I'd say blues is certainly traditional music, and a fine tradition too. I don't consider this OT at all
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Anonymous wrote:
I'd say blues is certainly traditional music, and a fine tradition too. I don't consider this OT at all
Aw drat, that was me again. Sorry, for some reason I kep getting logged out and accidentally posting as a guest. In this case twice. Idiot. :oops:
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I'm sure you'll get it eventually. :lol: :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

buddhu wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Aw drat, that was me again. Sorry, for some reason I kep getting logged out and accidentally posting as a guest. In this case twice. Idiot. :oops:
It's my damn fault. This forum is the first one I've set up--rich has always done it before. I forgot to set the option that precludes people from posting unless they're registered and logged in. I blame myself.

Dale
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

DaleWisely wrote:
buddhu wrote:
Anonymous wrote: I'd say blues is certainly traditional music, and a fine tradition too. I don't consider this OT at all
It's my damn fault. This forum is the first one I've set up--rich has always done it before. I forgot to set the option that precludes people from posting unless they're registered and logged in. I blame myself.

Dale
I wish I could blame you as well :P

I run several websites with forums (including one using phpbb) so I knew what was happening the first time it happened in the other thread. But whaddya know... I *still* did it again here.

Doh :roll:
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.