Cittern. (Was: New Forum! HOt-Diggity-Dog!)

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Cittern. (Was: New Forum! HOt-Diggity-Dog!)

Post by Nanohedron »

I guess I'll break it in, then.

So, is a cittern traditional or not?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Cool! New forum.

Post by Dale »

Nanohedron wrote:I guess I'll break it in, then.

So, is a cittern traditional or not?
I'm not sure. As Giver of This Forum, I, uh, don't remember what it is.

Dale
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I don't know either.

And thus I gain one more post!
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Just had to put my first personal post in this forum. Neato! I play guitar (amongst others)...and have taken interest of zithers. :D :party:
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

rh

Post by rh »

Nanohedron wrote: So, is a cittern traditional or not?
probably as traditional as a keyless Pratten...
there is no end to the walking
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

DaleWisely wrote:Sure is pretty, though:

http://www.dustystrings.com/shop/cittern_info.shtml

Dale
Ah! A Sobell. That's the guy who purportedly revived the instrument.

Doesn't beat a Foley, though. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

rh wrote:
Or a low whistle? :twisted:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Congratulations wrote:
rh wrote:
Or a low whistle? :twisted:
Please, please. The carping serves you all ill. :lol:
carrie

Post by carrie »

Nanohedron wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:Sure is pretty, though:

http://www.dustystrings.com/shop/cittern_info.shtml

Dale
Ah! A Sobell. That's the guy who purportedly revived the instrument.

Doesn't beat a Foley, though. :wink:
Sobol, do you mean maybe, Nano?

Joseph Sobol, former Chicagoan, is the guy I think of as reviving it. His album, Citternalia, is lovely.

Nice new forum!

Carol
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Hey, Carol. No, I mean Sobell. As in Steve Sobell, of Northumberland, I think it is. He started building 5-coursed gizmos like the one above in the 1970s, which, incidentally, are reasonably similar to citterns made in Dublin, at least, in the 1700s. The Irish called the cittern the "English Guitar". The term "cittern" I understand to be more the Scots usage at the time. The old instrument fell out of use around the 1850s, I believe, so a gap of about one hundred years elapsed before its modern reinterpretation.

I've heard Citternalia is a great album. Haven't heard it yet; maybe I won't. Melody players make me depressed. :lol:
Last edited by Nanohedron on Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Nanohedron wrote:Hey, Carol. No, I mean Sobell. As in Steve Sobell, of Northumberland, I think it is. He started building 5-coursed gizmos like the one above in the 1970s, which, incidentally, are resonably similar to citterns made in Dublin, at least, in the 1700s. The Irish called the cittern the "English Guitar". The term "cittern" I understand to be more the Scots usage at the time. The old instrument fell out of use around the 1850s, I believe, so a gap of about one hundred years elapsed before its modern reinterpretation.
You know, this reminds of the time I was at a party to celebrate my cousin's graduation from the University of Chicago. I remember standing around, champagne glass in hand, earnestly offering my *own* views of particle physics to his fellow physics majors.

Sorry, there, Nano. :oops:

*clinks glass*

Carol
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

cskinner wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Hey, Carol. No, I mean Sobell. As in Steve Sobell, of Northumberland, I think it is. He started building 5-coursed gizmos like the one above in the 1970s, which, incidentally, are resonably similar to citterns made in Dublin, at least, in the 1700s. The Irish called the cittern the "English Guitar". The term "cittern" I understand to be more the Scots usage at the time. The old instrument fell out of use around the 1850s, I believe, so a gap of about one hundred years elapsed before its modern reinterpretation.
You know, this reminds of the time I was at a party to celebrate my cousin's graduation from the University of Chicago. I remember standing around, champagne glass in hand, earnestly offering my *own* views of particle physics to his fellow physics majors.

Sorry, there, Nano. :oops:

*clinks glass*

Carol
Hey, that's a reasonable mixup. When I heard of a crack citternist (Citterner? Citternite?) with the name of Sobol, I thought it was a bit uncanny. Don't know if he plays a Sobell, though. Sobells ARE well-regarded.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

SO, what distinguishes this instrument? How's it tuned and what's the range and all that?

DW
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

DaleWisely wrote:SO, what distinguishes this instrument? How's it tuned and what's the range and all that?

DW
Typically five courses of ten strings, neck scale usually a bit shorter than your average guitar. Tunings are varied, but DGDAD --which I use-- is popular, and works very nicely for backup playing. CGDAE is popular with melody players, but not exclusively so: Gerald Trimble, who plays a Sobell, by the way, tunes his DAEAE, and not infrequently uses a capo to get GDADA. Some players employ octave strings from the middle to bass courses, but my impression is that most people don't do this and stick to having each course in unison with itself. Well, "unison" could be argued, but you get my drift. It's unison courses for me, too.