I invented something!

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
SEAGULL
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am not a robot. I am person with dreams and aspirations. I actually hate robots. I do not trust them. Help computer

I invented something!

Post by SEAGULL »

Hey all,

Normally I am a bit more active over on the Uilleann piping forum. I am a guitar player in The Drowsy Lads. I thought I would shoot this over to see what y'all think.

I invented and patented The String Stash. It's the best way to store your guitar strings. Strings are kept rust-free and organized. It rolls up and stores in the compartment under the neck in your case. Make changing strings suck less!

We just launched a Kickstarter. Any help you could throw my way would be greatly appreciated!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/91 ... =user_menu

[With Moderator approval. - Mod]

whistlecollector

Re: I invented something!

Post by whistlecollector »

SEAGULL wrote:I thought I would shoot this over to see what y'all think.

I invented and patented The String Stash. It's the best way to store your guitar strings. Strings are kept rust-free and organized. It rolls up and stores in the compartment under the neck in your case. Make changing strings suck less!
Awesome!

Looks to be a great little system for storing instrument strings.

In the operating theater, we make little roll ups just like these to hold surgical threads. Very handy and although yours are made for a different purpose, and intended to last much longer, I have no reason to suspect they'd not function as admirably as the ones we make!

I may have overlooked, but how many pockets are there and about how many strings will a pocket hold?

Do you have models for instruments of different number of strings (fiddle / mandolin / guitar / lute /etc) and different string lengths (bass / cello / archlute)?
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

whistlecollector wrote:Do you have models for instruments of different number of strings (fiddle / mandolin / guitar / lute /etc) and different string lengths (bass / cello / archlute)?
I don't know enough about guitar strings to comment, but personally I wouldn't use something like that for fiddle strings. It looks to me as if it rolls up too small - too tight a bend on the strings. I'd rather either keep them in their original packs or, better, unwrap them and store them in a straight string case. Straight string cases take up hardly any room and keep fiddle strings safe without putting any unnatural stress on them.
SEAGULL
Tell us something.: I am not a robot. I am person with dreams and aspirations. I actually hate robots. I do not trust them. Help computer

Post by SEAGULL »

Thanks for the input. You can adjust the size of the roll pretty easily. I think if I was buying or mostly using individual sets of strings it makes sense to keep them in the original packs. My problem came during a tour. It was the best way I could come up with to keep my gig bag clean and be able to quickly grab a replacement if I broke a string during a show. Thanks for the thoughts.
chadlittle
Tell us something.: I am interested in the celtic knot strap conversation. I have some value I can add to that and other conversations. Love the forum.

Post by chadlittle »

Very cool idea...how did the kickstarter go?
linusorri
Tell us something.: I found a flute here that I want to buy and need to register to send a private message. I'm multi instrumentalist from Iceland and I organize a I T M session in Reykjavík.

Post by linusorri »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

They raised 1000$ out of the 9000$ they were asking for so the campaign was unsuccessful. Cool product though. Wouldd but if I could afford strings to stock it with.
Mudchutney
Tell us something.: I'm an accordion player, I love playing Irish music. I also run a shop called Mudchutney selling folk music themed clothing, go take a look, I think it's brilliant! I'm registering because I love all things folky and music related so want to share the love, and read more and more about this kind of stuff. Is that enough? Feels weird writing like this...kind of like trying to be a real person, which obviously I am, but you don't know that.

Post by Mudchutney »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Don't they come already in little packets with the string name written on the front?
Instruments: Saltarelle Bourroche CBA (C system)
Music: mainly Irish, but also some Scottish / English / French
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Decades ago there was a brand of strings called "Nashville straights." They came in a long rectangular box. The premise was string changing would be easier and also the "integrity" of the string would be preserved.

That would not be interesting to me, but good luck, it's a clever idea
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

PB+J wrote:Decades ago there was a brand of strings called "Nashville straights." They came in a long rectangular box.

That brings up memories...

I appear not to have mastered the multiple quote, but to reply to benhal.1's comment about fiddle strings:

I'm familiar with both, and the windings on guitar, banjo, or even mandolin strings are much burlier. Violin strings are fair more delicate and can be easily damaged if mishandled.

A straight string tube for guitar strings would be about as long as the guitar itself, so pretty unwieldy. Though it could be used as a light sabre in a pinch.
TrevorO'Malley
Tell us something.: I'm a big fan of the flute, first of all, and I like to indulge in folk music as often as I can. I'd like to connect with others who have the same interests here.

Post by TrevorO'Malley »

Best of luck, pal! Hope it really takes off and you enjoy success with your project, the concept itself is quite useful, it should be a hit.