Clunky G string

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
normholifield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Clunky G string

Post by normholifield »

Hi. I have a very nice Oakwood short scale tenor tuned e a d g. I 've been playing for about six months. Have changed the strings a couple of times in that period for the same gauge as the originals but I have never been entirely happy with the G. Although the tuner shows it is in tune it always sounds a bit lifeless compared to the others.
Any tips would be appreciated.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Clunky G string

Post by benhall.1 »

Not that I know anything about banjos but ...

... you're pretty close to me, Norm. Do I know you? :)
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Short scale tenor banjos or octave mandolins have issues with clunky strings. It's because the neck isn't quite long enough for the a stable GDAE with standard strings (or least that was the case with standard octave mandolin strings on my short-scale octave). You might consider heavier gauge strings. Here's a discussion on 17 fret banjo strings: https://thesession.org/discussions/30915. Last week I played a friend's custom 17 fret banjo, and while the strings were definitely looser than on my 19 fret tenor, I wouldn't have described the strings as clunky.
Life is good.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Post your question to the mandolin cafe tenor guitar/tenor banjo forum.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
carloslarge
Tell us something.: Was talking to Ben, signing up using my old account details, had been locked out and set up new account

Post by carloslarge »

[Thread revival. - Mod]
normholifield wrote:Hi. I have a very nice Oakwood short scale tenor tuned e a d g. I 've been playing for about six months. Have changed the strings a couple of times in that period for the same gauge as the originals but I have never been entirely happy with the G. Although the tuner shows it is in tune it always sounds a bit lifeless compared to the others.
Any tips would be appreciated.
Chat to a luthier about installing a bridge with mother of pearl slots on the bridge, can make a difference
awildman

Post by awildman »

I use a 40 gauge G on my short scale, and it is still a bit flabby. I've read of others going up to 44.
DaveVisi
Tell us something.: I'm a member of a medieval recreation group, interested in period and Irish music. Current play Hammered Dulcimer, and working on Bodhran and whistle.

Post by DaveVisi »

Most hollow body instruments have a natural resonance tone. If it happens to land square on a fretted note, that note will suffer.

I had to sell a really pretty guitar that had that problem. The only real fix was to have the body altered in some way, usually by changing the soundhole. It wasn't something I was willing to do, so off to eBay it went.
High D's: Freeman Mellow Dog, Tweaked Clarke original, Chris Wall tunable
Low whistles: Kerry Optima D, Whistlesmith Low D & G
Tony Dixon D flute
Bodhran; 16" Bridget
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I’ve gone as high as 46 by using octave mandolin strings. Another alternative is to tune it up to an A. I believe I read about someone well known doing this but can’t remember who.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Thomaston wrote:I’ve gone as high as 46 by using octave mandolin strings. Another alternative is to tune it up to an A. I believe I read about someone well known doing this but can’t remember who.
Enda Scahill plays his tenor banjos tuned ADAE. Maybe other players do too.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Yep! Enda is indeed who I was trying to think of. I tried that tuning for a while but when back to G.
Too many tunes to learn alternate fingerings for, it makes that low C# inconvenient to play, and I like to hit that G as a drone for G tunes like Kesh.