It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:32 am 

Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
This is me being curious here, partly as an ordinary, posting member of this site, and partly as Mod. I play flute, and there's plenty of talk about them on this site and also everywhere else on the net it seems.

But I also play fiddle. Where do people go to talk about playing that, and other stringed instruments? I mean, I know there's a "Fiddle Forum" but I really didn't find it worked for me, and didn't have the sort of normal, friendly to and fro of question, advice, discussion that we get here, and elsewhere, for flute, say. There's the occasional thread on the session.org, but again it doesn't really seem the same. And there isn't too much around here either - about the same sort of level as over there, it seems to me.

Are stringy people just different? Don't need discussion? Don't need advice? Don't want to talk amongst themselves? All of these could be true, I guess ...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:42 am 

I feel your pain.

String players in general don't talk a bunch online for whatever reason. I've asked myself why many times, but have never found a good answer. Probably the most active forum is violinist.com, but good luck talking fiddle stuff there. Fiddlehangout.com is active, but is heavily populated by American styles. I'm probably the only Irish fiddler there, and find precious little to say anymore. There used to be a really good, intelligent luthier there who gave great advice, but he stopped showing up. Maestronet is mainly a hangout for makers and sellers; little talk from musicians' side. Unless something new pops up, I think that is everything I know of.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:40 am 

Mandolin Cafe is a great resource for players of mandolin family instruments. I don't play fiddle, so I can't help there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:03 pm 

Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
maestrosid wrote:
Mandolin Cafe is a great resource for players of mandolin family instruments. I don't play fiddle, so I can't help there.

Yes, I keep hearing about Mandolin Café. But, for fiddle, there's nothing that suits me at all! I might just pop over to Mandolin Café. I mean, I used to be pretty good at mandolin some years ago. Gave it up because it was wrecking my fingers. That, and I got frustrated with the tuning issues. Now, there's a surprise!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:21 pm 

I've been casting about these Internets for over a decade - asking this same question, and generally raking up as much muck as I could...why, when you're not busy playing, or listening, there's but one thing to do..

My pickle: not many places to chat about scottish harp. I play fretted strings and fiddle and box too, so I hang around the main sites like sesh, M cafe, melnet, et al...but mostly just annoy folks about stuff no one's interested in (the harp forum has maybe three others - it's just like going to a violin site hoping to find chat about hardingfele or Shetland tunes.. :cry: )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:21 pm 

cat- Do you know about the Virtual Harp Circle and/or Wire Harp lists on yahoo? Those--along with the Celtic Harp group on Facebook-- are where I go to talk harps. Several clarsach players contribute, and all 3 groups are friendly (a lovely change after I was in a couple other forums that were... well... kind of snooty...). ;)
You'd be welcome if you're interested!

Virtual harp circle
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/vir ... ircle/info

Wire Harp group
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Wir ... g1Mjg3OTc1