Fiddle stand suggestions?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
matahari_1946
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Fiddle stand suggestions?

Post by matahari_1946 »

I'm wondering if anyone out there has any ideas for a stand for 2-3 fiddles? I have single fiddle stands but am looking to pack fewer things around. I play in a fiddle duo and between the two of us we have 3-4 fiddles. We use some different tunings and it's easier not to have to keep retuning. I also play a hardanger. Any suggestions?
~Tiff
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Re: Fiddle stand suggestions?

Post by Feadoggie »

matahari_1946 wrote:Any suggestions?
Sure. Are there any mic stands on the stage with you? You may be familiar with the mic stand add-ons, or not. Here's one as an example.

A couple of those ... and one of these maybe ,,,
and you're good to go.

Even if you do not have a need for the mic stand they are cheap enough to just use one as a fiddle rack.

Or you could look into modifying a triple guitar stand. Height is already adjustable. You'd probably have to make something to narrow the peghead holder for a more narrow fiddle head.. They're readily available and also fold up for travel. Mandolins fit in them but the fiddle is quite a bit smaller at the head. I have not looked for Ukulele stands yet. Probably something there you could co-opt.

I'd likely make my own. I'm just that kind of guy. Oh, hold that thought. You could make one of these out on PVC pipe sized for fiddles.
I made and use one for guitars. Use the smaller 1/2" schedule 80 CPVC pipe instead of schedule 40 PVC and you're on your way. Scale down the dimensions for fiddles. Parts lists and how-to instructions are all over the Internet. Not as easily portable as other designs. I guess you don't have to glue things together completely though. If you narrow the space between the pieces that stick out of the top of the stand to separate the instruments you could make the stand into a peghead hanger like this one for a uke and guitars.
You get the idea. These things are very lightweight too.

Just some thoughts. Hope they help.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.