Guitar thread

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Alm35
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hey there :)))))
i'm seeking for human support and friends hope to find here both. Also i'm interested in music and this forum is dedicated to this too
A friend of mine recommended me this forum, she claims that here she found cool recipes for hummus))

Guitar thread

Post by Alm35 »

Recently we gifted our son with an acoustic guitar and as far as I know, it requires specific storage. I've checked out the Net and there are many tips and useful articles that fully disclose the topic. I found out that the most important is to keep its temperature from 10 to 25 C and humidity from 50 to 60%, however, there were mentioned also that humidity should be from 37-47% and now I doubt. What are your thoughts on that? What's an optimal range of its humidity? I also searched for hygrometers that can be used for measuring here what I found https://www.bestadvisor.com/hygrometers. The last round hygrometer seems the best pick. If you have some other good option for such kind device share please the link. I'll take into account all of your wise recommendations, thanks in advance
Have a good day
Tor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Guitar thread

Post by Tor »

I keep the room with my solid wood guitars at just above 40% in the vinter, and around 50% in the summer. 50 is too much in the winter, there's risk of condensation on walls (or worse, inside walls) and window sills. That's mould and fungus territory, you definitely don't want to go there.

Guitars from laminated wood are at much less risk from cracking if it gets dry, just keep it somewhere above 30% and you should be ok. In my office it's rarely above 20% in the winter, and my office guitar (laminated) does react to it, but it doesn't crack.

As for hygrometers, I've bought a dozen or so small ones on ebay, of various types. Most of them are actually quite accurate, which means +- 5% (I've checked against a calibrated hygrometer). But I keep several in every room so that I'll catch it if one suddenly deviates. As happens sometimes.