RIP Jerry Van Dyke

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
nicx66
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

RIP Jerry Van Dyke

Post by nicx66 »

Since there are a lot of Irish music people on this forum, I just wanted to send some love out to Jerry van Dyke, who plays a tenor banjo and is as funny as all get-up! I can't find any recordings of Irish tunes that he plays, so I am hoping that someone here knows more than I do. Much love to Jerry's family and friends!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: RIP Jerry Van Dyke

Post by benhall.1 »

nicx66 wrote:Since there are a lot of Irish music people on this forum, I just wanted to send some love out to Jerry van Dyke, who plays a tenor banjo and is as funny as all get-up! I can't find any recordings of Irish tunes that he plays, so I am hoping that someone here knows more than I do. Much love to Jerry's family and friends!
Do you mean the comedian and actor? I didn't know he played trad as well. Interesting.
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

benhall.1 wrote:
nicx66 wrote:Since there are a lot of Irish music people on this forum, I just wanted to send some love out to Jerry van Dyke, who plays a tenor banjo and is as funny as all get-up! I can't find any recordings of Irish tunes that he plays, so I am hoping that someone here knows more than I do. Much love to Jerry's family and friends!
Do you mean the comedian and actor? I didn't know he played trad as well. Interesting.

I don't think he played trad, more jazz-era stuff. He was an amazing singer. I have just never seen a tenor banjo outside of irish music. Technically, the banjo is not traditional, but then again neither are the whistle, concertina, melodeon, etc. I guess 'traditional' speaksmore to the way the tunes are played than the instruments playing them.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

TB is a signature instrument in a dixieland jazz band.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis