"Relic" instruments...

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

"Relic" instruments...

Post by brewerpaul »

Sort of off topic, but I thought people here might have some insights into this phenomenon.
In the electric guitar world, there is apparently a big market for making brand new instruments that look old and beat up. Fender has a line called "Road Worn", and there are a lot of custom shops that will take a new guitar and "relic" it, making it look like it's spent long hard years on the road, playing gigs in roadhouses and shady bars.
What's up with this? It's like taking a shiny new Corvette and then paying extra to make it look like it's been in a couple of accidents.
What's the appeal?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: "Relic" instruments...

Post by benhall.1 »

Same as ripped jeans, I guess ...
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Gibson calls it 'distressed'.

I don't get it either, and frankly, haven't even been able to follow the logic of those who support the practice (the concept is too alien to my thought process). But I understand that there are several arguments for it. Here's what I've gleaned from reading (I take no position one way or the other):

1) To make yourself look like an old pro who has toured the world for years.

2) To emulate your personal hero whose instrument is road worn by years of touring the world.

3) To achieve some special tonal quality that only comes from age and wear, without having to spend years achieving it.

4) To get 'The Mojo', whatever that is.

5) Just to have that certain look that you admire.

I know both Fender and Gibson are producing these things from their custom shops, and there are even a few guys out there who will provide the service. There's money in it, apparently. And it's not just electric guitars. Gibson offers it on their Master mandolins that sell for over $10,000.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Tim2723 wrote:2) To emulate your personal hero whose instrument is road worn by years of touring the world.
I'm still waiting for Martin to release Willie Nelson's "Trigger" style distressed N-20. :)

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I know a fellow whose main acoustic axe is pretty scruffy but the best part is it has a bullet hole thru it; it was a stray shot from someone's .22 while resting on its stand on a stage in some Scottish pub, goes the tale. "Stray shot". Right. With all the world a critic, I can just about believe that. :wink:

I really, really, REALLY want that guitar, and I have told him that I will be waiting like a vulture so he might as well bequeath it to me. I mean, an actual bullet hole? C'mon. How legit is that?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Gibson will provide a .22 bullet hole for a nominal fee.

Funny thing is, Nelson's guitar will end up a national treasure, as did Bill Monroe's Loar F-5, even though it was smashed to pieces and rebuilt a splinter at a time. "Trigger" is one of the worst sounding guitars I've ever heard, IMO. I cringe at every solo. Please don't be offended or argue, it's just an opinion.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I think antique looks cool. Matter of fact, I'm considering getting these tuners for my Fullerton mandolin.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Mand ... uners.html
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Nanohedron wrote:I know a fellow whose main acoustic axe is pretty scruffy but the best part is it has a bullet hole thru it; it was a stray shot from someone's .22 while resting on its stand on a stage in some Scottish pub, goes the tale. "Stray shot". Right. With all the world a critic, I can just about believe that. :wink:
Love it. I don't think instruments should necessarily remain pristine. Honestly acquired wear,dings, nicks, stains all attest to a well used axe. Having them added to a new instrument is just posing.

Hey, maybe this is something plastic surgeons want to pursue... ADDING wrinkles, liver spots etc to young faces to give them that world-wise appearance.

Those antiques tuners look nice and I could get behind that look. They don't look like they've been intentionally made crappy looking. The shiny metal look has been just toned down a bit. My Fullerton tuners are still working well though, and nobody sees them but me.
Got wood?
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I like those tuners too. The thing is that they are offered as replacements for actual vintage instruments (although you can add them to a new one if you want). Those tuners are like reconstructive surgery: They restore the look of what was already there while repairing damage and possibly improving function. Sanding the paint off a brand new instrument is more like cosmetic surgery: Making something into something it isn't.

I love the bullet hole too. Even if it's on a brand new instrument it's hard-gained, legitimate mojo. Drilling a hole in a guitar on the assembly line and telling everyone it's a bullet hole is just lame.

Oh, and is seems there's another reason for doing this that I missed before. There are those who think they can fool people into believing they own a very old, valuable instrument. Of course, the knowledgeable are never fooled and they can tell a new instrument from something 100 years old, but that doesn't seem to stop some from trying. I think P.T. Barnum made his living off those guys.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

It's a real boon to the luthier....every screwdriver dropped onto such an instrument ADDS to the value!

Rob
Pfreddee

Post by Pfreddee »

Very interesting. I've seen the distressed guitars offered for sale, and I can't figure out why anyone would pay extra for one, but that's just me. BTW, my guitar of choice is an archtop, which I try to maintain in pristine condition. Go to www.archtop.com and see the classified listings for used instruments. The more pristine and unmarked they are, the better. One of the most frequent comments on these instruments is "... no buckle wear on the back.." And, if the guitar is a vintage model, (as most of them are) the tone has improved over the years. Of course the same applies to any other guitar, but archtops seem to command a premium if they're in great physical AND tonal shape. I certainly can't imagine a genuine D'Angelico or a D'Aquisto being offered for sale in "distressed" condition...

Just my $.02 worth.

With best regards.

Pfreddee(Stephen)
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

This is the first that I have heard of this. Brewerpaul said about everything that I had to say on this subject.

I've never owned a new guitar. I've had to replace a tuner and some pegs on my current guitar and none of these have been a match to the set. I wonder if I could get some fool to buy authentic distress. First I need a really good story on why the topmost D tuner on my 12 string isn't a match. Yanking the guitar over because I tripped over the amp cord doesn't have much street cred.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

mutepointe wrote:... First I need a really good story on why the topmost D tuner on my 12 string isn't a match. Yanking the guitar over because I tripped over the amp cord doesn't have much street cred.
That was the night you killed a man in Memphis, just to watch him die, right :D
Got wood?
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

If anybody wants the bent tuning peg what I killed him with, I'll gladly sell you this authentic relic. If anybody could explain to me how I killed a man with a tuning peg, go for it. If anybody could explain to me why anyone who buy an authectic relic missing the murder weapon, I'd like you to give that one a go too.

This authentic relic business is harder than it looks. You gotta be able to sell gullibility.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tim2723 wrote:I love the bullet hole too. Even if it's on a brand new instrument it's hard-gained, legitimate mojo. Drilling a hole in a guitar on the assembly line and telling everyone it's a bullet hole is just lame.
You could always take yer axe out to the firing range, I suppose...

"WHAT on Earth are you DOING???"

"I hate that *&%#$^& guitar."
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician